Categories:

Column: How Music Helps People

Music benefits students and adults in a variety of ways.
Sophomore Lilah Ott listens to music during class. It helps Ott concentrate while working.
Kailee Lake

It feels like it was just yesterday being in my dad’s car listening to his music that he used to listen to back in the old days when I was just little. Now that I’m older, my perspectives have changed a lot, and I know that this will be something that I will be able to share to so many different people throughout my life on how nostalgic this was for me and the memories it holds. Although I can’t relive that moment, I will forever cherish it.

Music helps in various ways, and a lot of people use it to cope.

A study was conducted with 50 participants. They were randomized into two groups. The first group listened to one hour of music, and the second group listened to no music for two hours. The first group, after listening to music for one hour, reported significantly less anxiety. 

“Depending on who you are, certain types of music just gives you kind of a sense of calm and relaxation, which is nice,” broadcast teacher Dave Packard said. 

For Valencia College student Lahela Destine, music resonates with her. 

“I feel like some songs really resonate with you,” Destine said. “When you really listen to the song, like certain songs, they really resonate with what you’re going through and your vibe.” 

A lot of artists can get together to spread awareness and talk about issues going on around the world.

“Micheal Jackson did ‘We are the World,’ and that was really big,” Packard said. “That was probably the biggest you know group of musicians  ever to be assembled at one time in a you know in a recording session.”  

Movies and TV shows use music in great ways to bring to mind emotions you may feel normally and visualize them.

“Maybe tell you something about a scene that they’re not showing you, but due to the song and what they’re showing you still feel the right things,” Packard said.

Music makes such a great impact with the way that it works. A lot of people’s lives have been saved due to how powerful it is and can change the way you feel about things. So, more students should be able to get to listen to music while doing their work to help them not feel out of place with things.

$100
$700