Categories:

Unnoticed LHS Alumni Save On Education

There are over 100 students in Logansport’s Early College program. One month into school, the students have been working hard getting dual credits.
The first group of students who have completed their 4 years with Early College got to hold their diploma next to Matt Jones, the principal. (Courtesy of Abby Lundy)
Emily Yanez

Students at Logansport High School have the opportunity to look out for their future. One way is through Early College, which is mainly directed by Early College Coordinator Abby Lundy. Early College is provided for all high school students and assists “overlooked” students in getting dual credits.

Early College alters what classes students might take during high school.

“It changed kind of how the course of my education is going to go,” Early College alumni Nohelia Molina said. “You save a lot of money by joining Early College. I also won’t be taking other classes that I previously was going to take.”

Nohelia Molina is a Sophomore at Logansport High School. The Early College program has aided her in dual credit. (Emily Yanez)

Early College has aided several students in spending less money on higher education.

“They would save the cost of their freshman year of college,” Early College Counselor Karin Combs said. “At Purdue, that would be $23,000 a year. Last year we had 14 kids, and a few completed their Associates Degree and several their ICC. Right now, we have 16 seniors, 23 juniors, around 42 sophomores, and 32 freshmen.”

Students have to get chosen by the program before they even try applying to Early College.

“Early College is a program targeted for students that are first generation,” Lundy said. “Also students on free and reduced lunch, students with English not as their first language who score a 3 or higher on WIDA or students that could do really well in honors but  haven’t taken an honors class before.”

Most students who apply to Early College after being qualified stay, but there are students who don’t.

“We do make changes,” Combs said. ”If we missed someone or maybe it wasn’t a good match for someone, and then we look for someone else who qualified and didn’t apply.”

Students often say they are “glad they joined” and stay for the four years of Early College.

“I wouldn’t say I regret picking any classes because they all just help you out in the end,” Molina said. “In high school, you are also learning what you do and don’t like, so I would’ve preferred to stay in criminal justice from the start since it is what I plan on doing after high school.”

After some time, a student’s bond will get stronger with their teachers.

“My favorite Early College teacher is Ms. Whitcraft,” Molina said. “Her way of teaching really helped me in my first year of high school and it’s important to have a good teacher.”

Early College students are a mix of all types of students. Each student has their own path.

“They are all very different,” Combs said. “They all have different goals, but they come together on rigorous work. They are paired together by their English and math class, and the goal is to get them ready for college as a junior.”

The Early College students get some other opportunities like basic life skills.

“We like to get the kids on campus, and so we like to do one visit per year with those students,” Lundy said. “We also like to take them to finance park which is financial literacy to show them what it’s like to get a car loan, house loan, a job and to have a budget.”

The amount of support Early College students receive is unlike other programs.

“Anybody at Logansport High School can achieve the Indiana College Core or the Associate’s degree,” Combs said. “The Early College kids are the ones who maybe have potential but haven’t been designated to do honors. We make sure they get their FAFSA filled out, so they get a little bit more extra support.”

Aside from academic improvement, spending so much time makes their bonds so much stronger to the point they get out of their comfort zone.

“I think I definitely made more friends,” Molina said. “You have the same impact for the four years you’re here, and I am glad that is the way it is. I am surrounded by people I know and it makes it a lot easier on me”

The Early College Class of 2024 made impactful connections with others during their four years in the program.

The largest class in the program is the current sophomores. They have over 40 students, who are striving for academic excellence. (Courtesy of Abby Lundy) (Emily Yanez)

“Last year was our first group of kids and a lot of them say that they may not have ever been friends with their peers,” Lundy said. “They feel like they are a family now, they feel like they can come talk to adults or that they have a person who they can talk to.”

$0
$700