Categories:

The End of an Era: Principal Matt Jones Reflects on His Journey

After over a decade at the helm, Jones will retire at the end of the school year
Before the Lunar New Year celebration begins, LHS Principal Matt Jones addresses the audience and thanks them for coming.
Veda Fagner

As the sun rises on graduation day, the air is filled with a mix of excitement and anticipation. Family, friends, teachers and administration gather in the stands, exchanging hugs and smiles for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

This June, Principal Matt Jones will be shaking hands with his final graduating class while giving out heartfelt congratulations to all graduates. After 30 years of dedicated service to the Logansport Community School Corporation, Jones decided that it is the right time to step down from his role as principal and pass the baton to Associate Principal Michael Miller.

“I’ve just been so grateful being surrounded by these great students and staff,” Jones said. “Not many graduates get the opportunity to become their high school’s principal. On graduation day, Class of 2025 will be my last graduating class, and we’re going out together.”

After Principal Matt Jones retires, a painting of him will be placed in this glass case.
(Madilie Franco)

Jones’s story is one of passion, growth and commitment. Jones started his journey in education at Columbia Elementary School, teaching fifth grade before transitioning to a media specialist role. In 1999, he moved to Logansport Junior High School where he taught seventh-grade social studies and continued his work as a media specialist. His passion for sports led him to coach multiple basketball teams throughout the corporation.

Driven by his determination to get further in his education, Jones pursued his master’s degree in 2002 along with an administration license. 

“The superintendent at that time, Dr. Jerry Thacker, encouraged me to get into administration,” Jones said.

Sharing his college experience with his sister, Hayley, former principal at Franklin Elementary School, was extra rewarding as they got to collaborate with each other.

Jones’s administrative career began at Lincoln Middle School, now known as Logansport Junior High School, as assistant principal and athletic director. In 2007, he took on the role of assistant principal at Logansport High School. Four years later in 2011, he stepped into the head leadership role of principal at LHS, leading the school through his first graduating class in 2012. 

Back in 1991, Princapl Matt Jones won a state championship as an LHS baseball player with his father, Butch Jones, as head coach.
(Madilie Franco)

“I never thought I’d come back to be the principal of my own high school,” Jones said, “It just kind of evolved that way. It’s been very rewarding to work with the students, staff and community for all these years.”

Jones is retiring at only 52 years old.

“I feel like the timing was right,” Jones said. “After 14 years, it’s a really good run.”

The emotional reality of balancing his duties as a leader and family responsibilities led to this bittersweet decision.

“My mom has Alzheimer’s, and I feel guilty not being there for her as much as I should,” Jones said. 

Grateful for the support of Superintendent Michelle Starkey and the School Board, Jones feels incredibly confident in Miller’s capabilities to lead LHS into a new era. 

“Mr. Miller has great ideas, and I know he’ll have a long, successful future here,” Jones said.

Reflecting on his time as principal, Jones highlighted the opportunity for students to enroll in dual-credit college classes.  

“Seeing students earn their associate degrees has been a dream come true as Grayson Long and Jerimiah Miller were the first two to achieve this great accomplishment,” Jones said. “It’s a huge thank you to our dedicated teachers who have worked hard to meet the high standards required to teach these classes to our students.”

Getting down on his hands and knees, Principal Matt Jones kisses Piper the Pig while FFA Advisor Jennifer Fishburn holds her leash. Out of all the faculty that agreed to participate in the voting for “Kiss the Pig,” Jones won by 76 cents. (Calvin Mackey)

Jones also takes pride in his newest addition to the high school, the Military Wall of Honor. The wall now honors nearly 1,000 LHS graduates and continues to expand.

“Connecting with alumni and honoring their service has been truly meaningful,” Jones said.

Jones hopes to be remembered as an administrator who genuinely cared about his students and staff, someone dedicated to creating an environment where every student could find their path to their future through the 3 E’s: enrolled, enlisted, or employed.

“My dad taught here for 39 years and coached baseball, so education has always been a big part of my life,” Jones said. 

His passion for encouraging students and fostering a sense of community is evident in his daily interactions with students.

“There’s nothing better than that end-of-the-year activity called graduation,” Jones said. “Shaking hands with students who have struggled through a tough battle is always a time to value.”

As Jones prepares for his final year as principal, he emphasized the importance of making the most of high school for current and future high schoolers. 

Further explaining the trials students faced to make these pieces and the planning that went into making the fashion show, art teacher Charmaine Griffith speaks to audience members. Principal Matt Jones, Assistant Principal Dr. Christy Diehl, and instructional coach Grace Scott listened intently as Griffith spoke. (Jennifer Anaya-Serrano)

“You get one shot at this experience,” Jones said. “Don’t have regrets about not getting involved or trying new things. Embrace every opportunity you get. Be involved. Support your classmates because we’re all in this together.”

Upon retirement, Jones looks forward to golfing, traveling, and still staying active in a “lesser-role, behind-the-scenes.”

With Miller stepping into the new role as principal, the high school is set to be driven by his qualities.

“He’s a smart guy, and has a lot of excellent qualities,” Jones said. I know I am confident that he will make the high school by far, even better than I could ever achieve.”

As he steps away from the role of principal, Jones expressed profound gratitude for the relationships built over the years. 

“It’s been an honor to be a part of this community,” Jones said. “I’m so grateful for the amazing students and staff I’ve had the privilege to work with.”

Donate to LHS Magpie
$100
$700
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Logansport High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.