Q&A: Meet the New Quarterback

After three years of playing football, sophomore Bryson Herr enters the season as the new starting quarterback
Running out of the tunnel with his teammates, sophomore quarterback Bryson Herr makes his way to the field. This is Herr’s first season as a starting quarterback.
Vasan Nomany

How does it feel that you won the quarterback job over an upperclassman?

It feels good and rewarding to me that I beat an upperclassman. I kind of knew after last season I was going to have to step up and be the guy. So, after last season, in the wintertime, I worked at it and got better.

Are you worried about filling the shoes of the QB preceding you?

I definitely have some big shoes to fill, especially being a sophomore, but we all do. Losing 18 seniors, we all have some big shoes to fill. Overall though, I am not too worried about it, and I have to just believe in myself.

How well do you think you and the team will do with your leadership?

This season is going to be a rebuilding season with a whole new offensive line and a lot of young guys stepping up. We are a good team and can definitely get it done.

With a new arm in the offense, will fans see the ball in the air more with the passing game?

The ball will most likely be in the air more and using the passing game more. Right now, the struggle is the O-line and them getting their assignments down. The backs make sure to keep on them, and they are getting better. 

How do you feel stepping into the shoes of 2023 graduate Izak Mock? Do you think people will respect you as much as they respected him?

I feel confident in filling in the shoes of Mock. He was a great quarterback and had lots of respect, but now I have to gain that respect and get the job done.  

Do you ever feel pressure on the field?

There is sometimes pressure, but I am good at calming myself down and just doing what I have to do. I try my best to just go out and play and have fun. I don’t let the pressure get to me that much. I just zone everything out and have fun.

How well do you understand the offensive scheme?

I understand the offense very well. There isn’t a play I don’t know. The offense should be pretty good if everyone can do their assignment right. I will make sure that everyone keeps their heads up and does not get down on themselves.

Do you feel comfortable with the line in front of you and the backers protecting you?

I will always feel comfortable with all of my teammates. I believe in them, and I know they can play and protect me well. If they can protect me, the passing game will be good.