Q&A: Sophomore Golfer Maeda Bradbury Discusses Joining the Golf Team

The girls golf team welcomes first-year golfer, Maeda Bradbury, to a varsity position
During Tuesdays home match, sophomore Maeda Bradbury tees off on hole three. The Lady Berries went on to defeat Twin Lakes and Northwestern with a team score of 190.
During Tuesday’s home match, sophomore Maeda Bradbury tees off on hole three. The Lady Berries went on to defeat Twin Lakes and Northwestern with a team score of 190.
Golda Kitchell

How was the transition from volleyball to golf?

I believe that the transition from volleyball to golf wasn’t particularly easy for me. It was difficult because I played volleyball for so long, and I grew to love it. However, easy in the sense that I was ready for something new, and I had grown last year to dislike volleyball.

How did you realize you were interested in golf?

I didn’t realize by myself that I was interested in golf. A friend of mine, Izzy Lundy, asked me to go to a barn workout. The more I played, the more I loved golf.

Is golf any different from the other two sports you play?

The other sports I’ve played are so much more team-oriented, consistent, and fast-paced. Golf, however, is a slow, inconsistent sport. I could very well say it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but it’s so rewarding in the end when you’re doing well.

What is it like being a first-year golfer?

I’ve found being a first-year golfer exceedingly difficult to adapt. I am not as experienced as I would like to be even with my natural athleticism. This sport takes a great deal of time. Nonetheless, I’m getting there slowly but surely.

Who do you think has contributed the most in assisting your success?

Although I have practiced a ton to better myself for my team, coach Abby Lundy has dedicated countless hours to teaching me. She has fixed numerous minute details that I could have never done alone along with one of my close friends Sophia Kay.

How have you improved throughout the season?

I have improved a lot in not even a year of playing. In the first 18-hole match of the year, I received a 136. My most recent 18-hole match resulted in a 103, which is a vast improvement. I have cut my 9-hole match from 63 to 50 as well.

What is the importance of mentality in golf?

Mentality is overwhelmingly the largest factor contributing to golf. If you go on the course with a bad attitude and negative thoughts, you will not score well. You have to go out with a positive attitude, and you have to believe in yourself. You can’t go back.

How do you assess fluctuations in your score?

Golf is an extremely hard and inconsistent game, and there is no other way to consistently shoot well without practice. You practice until perfection.

What is the girls golf team going to look like next year?

I am excited to see how smooth next year is. We have undeniably talented eighth graders coming up that will be amazing additions to our team. Our number one, Sophia Kay is going to be a senior. Overall, our team is going to improve heavily.