The Student News Site of Logansport High School

LHS Magpie

LHS Magpie

LHS Magpie

Kicking off the Year with Boys Soccer

The boys soccer varsity team shares love of sport and senior season
Walking+off+the+soccer+field+in+victory%2C+the+LHS+varsity+soccer+team+holds+a+6-6+record.+
Vasan Nomany
Walking off the soccer field in victory, the LHS varsity soccer team holds a 6-6 record.

The boys soccer team has a large backing from the student body with the stadium being well-kept for players and their audience. So far this year, the varsity team has a current 6-6 standing, a .500 record.

“I feel that for the games we have a good amount of people that show up to the games and support the team,” senior Devin McAnich said. “Honestly, the more people that come the better. It can make you feel excited to put on a show, or it can make you nervous, but in my opinion, it just helps the more people come support the better.” 

The soccer team is a team that builds off their unification with the love of the sport. Competing in many games and having gone to sectional tournaments and further a number of times. 

“The spirit of the team is to always take pride in what we do,” senior Yasiel Zarate said. “When we win, we take pride in showing up and handling business. When we lose, we also take pride in what we do. It takes pride to be able to handle a loss and learn from it.”

Seniors have felt the responsibility of keeping up with the traditions of the senior players before them as well as being figureheads for the rest of the team. The upholding of their positions can be stressful and take a toll on the players’ lives outside of their sport.

“As a senior, you have to learn to take a bigger role on the team,” Zarate said. “Seniors are highly respected on the soccer team. Everyone listens and learns when a senior is talking to them. I think that as a senior, you have to leave behind a bigger set of shoes to fill than the ones before. Having to step up and fill last year’s seniors’ shoes is definitely an honor.”

For many people, sports are their best outlet. The idea of being on a team has been proven as a great stress reliever, and many students struggle with stress in their personal lives. So, it makes sense that so many people would be interested in competing with friends even with only that one reason. 

“Joining soccer was what got me my friends,” McAnich said. “It was definitely a choice that started it all for me. It’s the reason I have the social circle I have right now. It’s the sport that I definitely can say made me who I am today.”