Different Elements to a Game: The Band

At sporting events, the band is one of many aspects you can see
During a boys basketball game against Lewis Cass, juniors Atlee Franklin and Yuri Servin play in the pep band.
Vasan Nomany

This article is the third part in a three-part series that explores the different aspects of sporting events at a game beyond what happens on the field. Also, check out “The Morale of the Game” (Dec. 26, 2023) and “Cheering for the Home Team” (Jan. 2).

The adrenalin is high in the Logansport Berry Bowl. All eyes are on the players as they run back and forth from each end of the court. However, performing at the game is not just the players. On the courtside putting on a show are also the cheerleaders and the Logansport Pep Band.

“It creates an atmosphere,” band instructor Ned Boyd said. “I know that they would probably want us to go to every single game if we could. All boys games and all girls games, too. We try to do a balance, and I think having the band there is just different than just having an iPod going.”

Senior Allison Conrad has played in the band for seven years, playing the flute and piccolo. 

“The band brings a sense of energy and community to games and events,” Conrad said. “Every game is made up of people from all over the community, and music being played by students themselves makes it even more special and personal. The band is like a huge student section and is always there to support our teams, cheering and yelling. We also add a sense of enthusiasm and school spirit that can always get the crowd going.”

Playing at the basketball games is a highlight to many players.

The band brings a sense of energy and community to games and events.

— Senior Allison Conrad

“Just in general, playing Pep Band at basketball games is my favorite,” junior Ava Martin said. “I love seeing how excited people get when we play, and I like the music. I like how I can see energy change and get higher when we play.”

When performing at basketball games, a lot of preparation is needed.

“We have a big book of songs,” Boyd said. “It’s about 100 songs. Some of them are school songs. Our school songs and the Star Spangled Banner are there. Lots of other school songs in our conference and in the state are in as well so when a band shows up, we can play their song. We will always prepare their school song for them.”

When deciding what songs to play, it is completely up to the band.

“Whenever we are ready for our performances, we will grab the Pep Band book, and the seniors and section leaders will get to pick,” Boyd said. “That way we’re playing songs that they want to do, and of course, if they’re a senior, they’ve been playing that song for years. It’s not like we’re starting everything from scratch.”

Not only does the band perform at basketball games, but they also perform at home football games in the marching band. 

“For football games, the band starts getting ready in July with summer band, where we learn our music and marching show,” Conrad said. “When school starts, we go outside each day during class to keep up with the show and work on the details. On football Fridays, we stay after school and go immediately down to the field to practice for about an hour. Then, we go back to the school and prepare for the game by getting instruments ready and uniforms on. Then, we head down to the field. Football is a lot more planning and practicing since we also have marching, not just music.”

Although the fans at games don’t usually see the band concerts, the band also spends a lot of time working on different types of music.

“During concert season, we play more classical and structured music where we focus more on perfection and the details in developing the song,” Conrad said. “Whereas during sporting events, we play the songs that typically are pop tunes that go fast and are more energized, and we can be more creative with the songs. For football games, our marching show has a theme every year, and then, we play some fun short tunes to fill time.” 

When the band plays, a lot is added to the games. 

“I think when the band doesn’t play, the energy isn’t the same,” Conrad said. “There’s just a different and more engaging sound when the band plays that speakers can’t replace. The band fills the space faster, with more energy, and plays a variety of music that caters to everyone in the audience. When the band isn’t playing, there’s a lot of dead time and silence.”

There’s just a different and more engaging sound when the band plays that speakers can’t replace.

— senior Allison Conrad

Performing in the band not only impacts the game but also the musician. 

“It’s impacted me because my skill in music has grown a lot,” Martin said. “I can read music a lot better than I would have. I can also read rhythms now. I think that learning something difficult has also helped me in my classes.”

While learning valuable skills in music, players have also made impactful relationships. 

“Band has had a really positive impact in my life because I’ve made friendships I wouldn’t have otherwise made,” senior Elijah Bault said. “I met two of my closest friends through band. I’ve played a lot of great music. It has been a great experience overall.”