Column: Be Aware How You May Affect Others

Words and actions can have detrimental effects on classmates
Walking through the halls with his head down, sophomore Jackson Lythgoe heads towards his next class while being bullied by his peers. Many people who have committed suicide might have been bullied to that point, as bullying is one of the main contributors to considering/attempting/committing suicide.
Reyna Hernandez

People often undermine the effect their behavior has on their fellow peers. Additionally, people don’t often think about how they don’t know what someone is going through in their lives or at home at any given time. This means it’s especially important for kindness and empathy to be practiced. Unfortunately, these qualities in society are diminished, especially in schools.

This has directly resulted in the ages only lowering when it comes to suicide cases, and bullies doing more and more damage with their harassment.

“It makes me think of my elementary school friend that committed suicide due to bullying, and how such things would lead to the loss of someone’s child that they treasured and tried to protect,” junior Joanna Coles said.

It’s a very serious problem. In the United States, a study shows that 12,064 kids committed suicide a year from 1965 to 1999. However, that does not include those who attempted. Every day, there are 12 young people attempting suicide. One of the major reasons for either attempting or committing suicide is bullying.

One of the most suggested methods to dealing with bullying is to talk to someone. Support or direct interference can be provided through letting someone know, and it’s believed to be beneficial to the victim of bullying.

“It makes me sad and wish they talked to someone,” sophomore Madison Claiborne said. “It’s sad. I wish it wasn’t a thing here in this world. My close friend actually did. I think talking to someone like parents, close friends, or even teachers can help.”

People who withdraw from friends and family and don’t talk to them about their issues could be considering suicide. This is just one of many signs. If any family member or friend is eating and sleeping more or less, this could be a sign. If someone started to use drugs or indulge in alcohol, this could be a sign. If someone’s body language changed, this could be a sign. There are so many signs to look out for. It’s because of this that keeping an eye out for family and friends and being there for them is crucial to saving more lives, as someone could be convinced not to go through with it if they feel loved and seen.

There are enough students out there that oppose the act of bullying to make a change and actively do something to at least lower the fatalities because of it.

“When it comes to bullying, I don’t support it. Even though it may seem like a joke to you, to someone else it could mean life and death,” Coles said.

People should pay attention to everything going on with those they care about and not bully others to be a part of the solution. Being someone’s friend and showing you care about them makes all the difference. It’s important to just remember the principle of living with no regrets. One’s actions or words could stay with a person for the rest of their lives. People who don’t bully though and want to take progress a step further should try to spot the harm early.

“I would recommend that teachers undergo special training for these types of things so they can spot the signs early and learn how to deal with it head on due to the fact most students wouldn’t talk to a guidance counselor, and would rather try to solve the situation themselves,” Coles said.

Schools should be more involved with helping to prevent this problem, but there are plenty of other professional sources one can access to get help.

If you are suffering from bullying or have suicidal thoughts, reach out, because help is available. You are worth it, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you need to, contact the Suicide Hot Line at 988 to get immediate professional aid.