The Work Behind the Game

The work of sports managers helps the team
Getting ready for a group photo, the gymnastics team and managers line up. Managers are important for gymnastics and help out the athletes, coaches and judges.
Courtesy of Kelley Platt

When spectators go to a sports game, there are so many things that get done that they never think about. Who raises the flag, fills the water bottles, and helps clean up? The team managers are the people who work behind the scenes of all the games.

“If they didn’t, the team members would have to,” sophomore Shelby Ping said. “Then it would take time out of their practice times.”

Managers help keep everything in line, from picking up foul balls to filling up water bottles, raising the flag, running scoreboards, and more. Managers don’t typically see as much recognition, but they help make everything run smoothly throughout games and even practices.

“Having managers is very important, especially on meet day,” sophomore Kamyah Adams said. “The coaches and gymnasts need to be focused on doing well at the meet, not as much on as all the behind-the-scenes stuff.”

Managing looks a little different for every sport. Baseball and softball managers consist of similar tasks, whereas sports like wrestling and gymnastics are different. Baseball managers have a variety of tasks throughout game days.

“Before a game, there isn’t much to do, but first I would raise the flag and pick up any trash,” junior Ashlyn Brumett said. “During the game, I will get any foul balls and help the coaches and players with anything they might need to help them stay focused on the game. After the games, I will take down the flag and get the baseballs to take up to the press box, then clean up the dugout if anything is leftover.”

Softball managers have similar responsibilities, but some tasks that take place are different. For example, they don’t get foul balls during the games; instead, they work concession stands throughout the game.

“Before the game, we hang up sponsor signs, raise the flag, and fill pellet buckets if needed,” Ping said. “During the game, we run concession stands. After the game, we put everything away including the sponsor’s signs and the flag. We also made sure everything was cleaned up in the concession stands.”

Boys basketball team managers have several tasks, but to help lighten them, there are about two to three managers per team.

“I usually prepare the water bottles,” junior Andrea Soto said. “I also get out all the equipment needed, and for varsity, I do the spotlight for their entrance. I fill up more water bottles, and after I get everything gathered back up.”

Gymnastics is a sport where managers are also necessary. They help the coaches and team with whatever they need to help assist the judges.

“For an away meet, we help load the equipment on the bus,” Adams said. “During a home meet, we flash scores, run scorecards, assist judges and handle awards. After an away meeting, we load equipment back onto the bus. After a home meeting, we clean up the judge’s tables and put things back where they need to be.”

Managers make sure a sporting event runs smoothly.

“The importance of managers is really to just be there when help is needed and to assist the coaches because coaching a sport can be difficult as well as overwhelming,” Brumett said.