The Stanley Cup Craze

The Stanley Cup grew in popularity due to its large size and and ability to keep drinks cold for hours
Throughout the student body The Stanley Cup is the most popular. There are numerous different styles and colors that students can choose from.
Miaya Smith

The Stanley tumbler went crazy on social media especially on the app TikTok when a girl posted a video of her car burning down and the car was destroyed but her Stanley was in good condition and still had ice in it after the fire.

Stanley is a brand that has been around since 1913, Stanley was created by William Stanley Jr. The brand was created for working men who wanted to keep their coffee or food warm. Stanley used to only advertise for men until they decided to drop the newest tumbler in neutral colors in 2016 and later released the Quencher in 2019.

“There was a TikTok about how a girl’s car burned and her Stanley was still good and it had ice,” junior Andrea Soto said.

Once the Stanley Cup started to gain momentum Starbucks, then decided to collaborate with them and dropped a red holiday Quencher which sold out almost immediately with people camping outside. The limited-time Quencher sold for $49.95 and there are people who are now reselling them on websites such as eBay that go for $200 up to $500.

Stanley also dropped a Pink Valentine’s Day Stanley Cup at Target. People were camping outside of Target to make sure they would get one of these. This caused a lot of chaos in Target with people running to get a Stanley Cup. The Valentine’s Day Stanley Cup resales for about $200 on eBay.

“The Stanley Cup trend definitely influenced me to buy the cup but there are also a lot of pros to it like it fits in my cup holder and a lot of my other water bottles don’t fit. I also wanted to drink more water and I liked the idea of a straw,” senior Alexa Madrigal said.

The company Stanley used to make $75 million in revenue back in 2019, in 2023 the company made $750 million in revenue. The Stanley Cup made it onto #Watertok which is a side of TikTok about water bottles making the Stanley Cup the “it cup” right now. This isn’t the first time this has happened back in 2020 the Hydro Flask was the “it cup”. The Hydro Flask was a 21 oz water bottle that every teenager had to have because it was the newest trend at the time.

“ I saw it on TikTok and I thought they looked nice,” freshman Marely Sanchez said. “I wanted to get in the habit of drinking more water.”

The Stanley Cup fits into a lot of girls’ aesthetics. There are numerous different colors of the Stanley Cup and different collections of these Stanley’s. A big part of why the Stanley Cup is so popular is because of its size which fits 40 ounces and its straw. The cup with a straw makes drinking water so effortless. Which is why the Stanley Cup has become the new “it cup.”