Column: Classical Music, the Perfect Relaxant

In these trivial times, we all need something to relax us
Music can help with the early second semester academic struggle.
Justin Snay

As we get further into the new semester, we all need something that relaxes us. The new increase in school work and school in general can be stressful. The perfect relaxant on this Earth is the sound of music.

Now, I am assuming that when I say music, you are thinking of the pop hits of today: music that skyrockets on the charts. I am not. When I say “music,” I am referring to the wonderful world of classical music. 

Classical music is not just Mozart and Beethoven, the renowned composers everyone thinks of when a person mentions classical music. Classical music is a wide range of music that consists of contemporary music, romantic, post-romantic, baroque, modern, and many other styles that can relax us. 

In 2007, a study showed that listening to music, specifically classical music, helps the brain absorb new information more easily. It has been shown that listening to classical music can help you. So, my new aspiration for everyone in this trivial time of coming back from break is to listen to more classical music when you study and do homework. 

I have already started, as I listen to classical music all the time. However, creating a study time for yourself that involves listening to classical music will surely enhance your study. For myself, I get more involved with whatever I am studying when I listen to classical music. If you listen to your favorite playlist with distracting words and music, you can go down the rabbit hole of listening to it instead of studying. Classical music is the perfect intermediate choice for music to listen to with the purpose of being productive.

“In 2007, a study showed that listening to music, specifically classical music, helps the brain absorb new information more easily.”

— Justin Snay

So, you may ask, what music should you start with? With so many different styles and countless pieces, it can be so easy to get lost. I suggest starting with piano. 

Even within the piano, there are still countless varieties of performances and styles. Wouldn’t it be great if we could have a combination of both orchestral classical music and piano? Well, that combination is called a piano concerto. A piano concerto is a very versatile example of the piano and orchestra, and can surely help you with your studying as it has for me. 

Don’t just take my experiences with classical music as the definitive experience. Try it yourself. Give classical music a go and enhance your relaxation and study time. There is nothing to lose, only everything to gain.