Magpie Wins Hoosier Star State Award for Second Year

The Indiana High School Press Association recently announced the Hoosier Star and Rowena Harvey awards
Staff members of Magpie won various Rowena Harvey awards.
Jackson Lythgoe

For the second year in a row, Magpie has been named a winner of the Hoosier Star, the top state award for student journalism in Indiana. They also received 13 Rowena Harvey awards at the Indiana High School Press Association Journalism Convention. The LCSC School Board subsequently recognized Magpie for journalistic excellence. 

For the individual awards, Gretchen Prifogle was first for Broadcast/Multimedia and second for Photo Portfolio and Portrait/Illustration, Kylee Langley was first in Sports Writing and Writing Portfolio, Emily Sanchez got second for Writing Portfolio, Veda Fagner won first for Cartoon, Justin Snay won second in News Writing, and Esther Sell won first for Column Writing. The Magpie staff overall won first for News/Current Event coverage, Sports coverage, and overall Website along with winning third for Opinion coverage.

A multitude of state-awarded accolades that Magpie has cultivated over the years are displayed. Many more have been awarded, but these are the most current Rowena Harvey awards. (Jennifer Anaya-Serrano)

“I am overall very happy with the awards I won,” Editor-in-Chief Kylee Langley said. “My sports article has already received a couple of awards, but I had never won anything for something like a writing portfolio.”

Since the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year, Magpie has also won four Best of SNO awards, which showcase the best student newspaper articles in the SNO website network.

“I was very excited to win these awards,” Multimedia Editor Gretchen Prifogle said. “I submitted three things to the Harvey awards, and didn’t expect for all of them to do well.”

The 2023-2024 school year has been a big year for Magpie so far with Magpie attending the National High School Journalism Convention in Boston earlier this year. The year also represents a shift for the newspaper as 11 seniors, representing most of the Magpie’s leadership, will be graduating this year.

“It’s a very bittersweet feeling,” Langley said. “Magpie has been such a big part of my life for the past four years, so it’s going to be very sad to leave. However, I am very excited to graduate and go to college for journalism. “