Q&A: Women’s History Month and It’s Importance

Women’s History Month is celebrated in the month of March
    Q&A: Womens History Month and Its Importance

Women’s History Month is a month that celebrates and honors the events that famous women have made in history. A month that celebrates the women around the world who contribute in history making.

What do you think of Women’s History Month and why do you think it should be celebrated?

“Women’s history month is a great opportunity to celebrate women and all they have been able to accomplish,” English teacher Elizabeth Berlet said. “To me, an accomplishment can range from being an awesome mom to being on the Supreme Court. We need to celebrate and acknowledge all that women have been able to contribute to our community, country and world.”

Have you ever had a dream of making a change in history for women? If so, why?

I can’t say I have ever had a dream of making a change,” Berlet said. “I will say I have always aspired to be a strong woman like those in my family before me. I have always wanted to be successful in my career. I wanted to be a role model for younger girls. Everyday I work towards that dream.”

How long did it take for you to succeed in your life?

“To me, success is a never-ending journey,” Berlet said. “I feel like I have had different chapters in my life. Each chapter had its highs and lows. However, with each chapter I have worked towards success by putting in hard work and dedication. Right now, I am starting my chapter in teaching. It is my first year, so the road to success is one that is just beginning.”

What are some women in history that you admire or look up to? Why do you look up to them?

“I have always admired Harriet Tubman for her courage and bravery,” Berlet said. “Temple Grandin has always been an inspiration of mine as well. She is so intelligent and a great example of a leader. Other women in my personal life and history are my mom and both of my grandmas. All three of these women helped instill confidence, kindness, hard work and faith into me.”

“I think Women’s history month is important because you can go back and look at all of the goals and achievements that were accomplished by these women,” freshman Zaley Baumgart said. 

“I have not set a dream to make a change for women’s history,” Baumgart said.

What are your plans to make your life successful in the future?

“My plans for the future are to go to college, study in the medical field and hopefully be either a surgeon or a NICU nurse, and hopefully make a change in people’s health,” Baumgart said.

“I look up to these women because they make me feel like I could be better at something or start something new,” Baumgart said. “For example, Madisen Skinner, she’s a volleyball player from the Texas Longhorns and she inspires me to become better at what I love doing, which is volleyball.”

What do you think of Women’s history month and why do you think it should be celebrated?

“I think it should be celebrated because we had to go through not being able to vote nor a lot of things we can do now,” freshman Tyler Strantz said.

“I wish that we were able to do things more earlier on so it’s normal,” Strantz said.

“I’m going to go to college and become a dancer so I can make that bank,”  Strantz said.

“I look up to Michelle Obama,” Strantz said. “She was the first black first lady. She’s just a boss. She is cool.”

Is there anything you would like to add that I didn’t ask you?

“I think that women have a long way to go to become equal but we are getting there,” Strantz said.