Review: “Miller’s Girl,” The Love for Literacy

A film filled with secrets and twists, and one of the most controversial of 2024
Cairo Sweet is looking up lovingly at her professor Mr. Miller.
Lionsgate

The thriller/comedy “Miller’s Girl” film exploded on many TikTok For You pages. The #millersgirl tag gathered a whopping 20 thousand views. They were catching the attention of Jenna Ortega’s fans, as there were small snip bits of the trailer uploaded on TikTok. The comments range from hate to love, with some even saying that they will watch the film regardless just because Jenna Ortega is the main character. Regardless, the controversy spread like wildfire because of the teacher-student dynamic “love” story. 

The start of the film is a smooth introduction of characters. The main character Cairo Sweet is played by Jenna Ortega. We are then introduced to Mr. Miller who is played by Martin Freeman. Cairo Sweet is a young 18-year-old wealthy student who is very devoted to literature, and her goal is to produce her best story yet. Mr. Miller is a professor who teaches creative writing, and he also is an adult book writer. We also meet Winnie Black, played by Gideon Adlon, who changes Cairo’s viewpoint and ends up being an important character that highly affects the plot line.

Throughout the movie, we see Cairo forming a relationship with Mr. Miller. As she continues working on her story, Mr. Miller goes through trouble in his marriage. We are shown scenes where Mr. Miller gets degraded by his wife as she stresses out about her next book being published. We can also see Mr. Miller slowly becoming unhappy with his marriage, causing him to drift away from it. Most of the scenes leading up to the end of the film though are anti-climactic because it is repetitive all we see is Ciaro making moves on Mr. Miller, making this film slow and hard to follow. As stated before, this film is relationship-based. I don’t enjoy romantic films so this was definitely out of my typical movies to watch. 

The plot is the typical younger “innocent” girl who is smitten by an older more mature man, a plot that has been re-used over and over in the Hollywood industry for years now. Some parts of the movie are confusing though, as we don’t know if some scenes are pure imagination with the characters or “real-life” actions. 

“It’s a strange movie,” sophomore Veronica Wall said. “I sort of like it, but it’s confusing.”

Wall is one of many who found the movie hard to follow more than anything. This brings in concerns because the movie didn’t exactly have a targeted audience, as Jenna Ortega is known for her famous role of Wednesday Addams in “Wednesday” the Netflix show.