Heartbreak in West Lafayette

The Boilermakers have lost yet again in the NCAA tournament
Mackey Arena Logo | The Purdue Logo in Mackey Arena on Keady… | Jarret Callahan | Flickr
Flickr

The Purdue Basketball team has never won an NCAA National Championship. It has been rough for Purdue fans all around the world that the team’s Coach Matt Painter and previous coaches could not win in the big tournament. From Carsen Edwards beating Tennessee almost by himself with his team, to the two-time national player of the year, to Zach Edey getting stood up in the Championship recently against UCONN, Purdue fans have a rough past, and their disappointment grows by the year.

Office Secretary Raquel Perez Coto is one fan who has been disappointed with the Boilermakers’ career and is especially heartbroken about Purdue’s loss to UCONN in the championship.

“I was upset, not so much because they lost, but how they were playing after halftime,” Coto said. “They could’ve done so much better. Overall though, I’m proud of how far they got, even though a lot of people didn’t have faith in them.”

The Boilermakers have never lived up to the expectations of the fans and the student body. They never play to their full capability when it matters most. Fans could see this downfall last year when they lost the first round to a 16 seed. It has been a bad time to be a Purdue fan.

These shortcomings have not just been in the recent past. It has been going on for generations. Assistant Principal J.D. Dubes has expressed multiple times that his predictions are always right.

“It was going to happen, they choke every year,” Dubes said.

Even though he has been a Purdue fan for a long time, Dubes still lacks hope for them.

Many students have the same outlook as Dubes and Coto. Being a school in Indiana, there is a large rivalry between the two in-state schools, some students were very happy that Purdue lost, and others students were heartbroken. There is a possibility that this was one of the last chances that Coach Painter and his school could have. It was a heartbreaking loss for many and a wave of joy for some.