3-Point Contest Duo Students Versus Duo Teachers

On Apr. 12 the sophomore class officers held a basketball competition in the Berry Bowl
Rhodes is seen above standing and watching the game unfold as the teams grow closer in points
Dayra Rostro-Ramirez

The sophomore class officers class decided to set up a way to raise money for their class. After a month of planning they came up with the idea of a 3-point contest. This 3-point contest would involve students versus teachers, making it an interactive activity for everyone. The idea caught much attention, earning the sophomore class over 200 dollars in total. The idea was to originally host this event right before spring break, however, Mr. Jones was worried about it messing up the scheduling. It was then pushed back until Apr. 12th, with the small amount of time there was a lot of chaos behind the scenes.

“It was boring and unorganized,” sophomore Layla Lawhead said. 

From this being a last-minute idea to the project being postponed, the sophomore class kept running into issues. More and more problems kept piling up, and the tryouts for the contest not being announced was a huge issue as they tried cramming in as many tryouts last minute as possible.

“It was fun to set up, and to see everyone having fun but it was unorganized,” sophomore class secretary Calvin Mackey said. “Next year we will spend more time on perfecting such an event.” 

The students were told to head down towards the Berry Bowl as soon as the second-period bell rang. They took their seats on the bleachers as the last-minute tryouts happened. 

The teacher’s duos included Jennifer Fishburn and Victoria Johnson, Bryan Looker and Elizabeth Waterman, Dave Packard and Joseph Stetz, and Bradley Urban and Chunmei Guan. 

The students facing each other before facing the duo teachers included senior Jacob Taylor, junior Cayden Walker, junior Micah Rogers, junior Aiden Swank, junior Deagan Kitchel, junior Carson Dubes, senior Connor Gellinger, and junior Ezariah Bricknell. 

In the end, Fishburn and Johnson seemed tied up against the Berries basketball players Taylor and Walker. Johnson was caught up on the shots and seemed to be winning, however, she missed once and it was game over. Taylor and Walker took their trophies home that day along with their gift cards.