Breaking Points: The Toxicity in Team Sports

Shining the light on the bad side of team sports and the effects on its players
Sophomore tennis varsity player stands behind the white line. She looks off into the distance as she is motioned where to stand.
Dayra Rostro-Ramirez

Toxicity in sports is seen worldwide, including in high school sports. However, this toxicity is incorrectly deemed as “criticism.”  Whenever the topic of name-calling was brought up with a coach, it was excused with, “Sometimes criticism is needed.” When you think of sports, you think about sportsmanship and a team. Not name-calling or even body shaming that seems to be a day-to-day norm on teams. There appears to be no code of conduct on these teams. However, it is high school sports.

High school will either be one of your best memories or your worst. The mean-girl effect has been around forever, but this is a bigger problem on sports teams. Some students recall being at matches and a verbal fight breaking out within their team. Coaches talking badly about the opposite team shouldn’t be the norm. Sports should be about maturity and building each other up instead of tearing each other down. Negative attitudes and childish behavior are expected on high school teams, but why not break that cycle?

“When you get into the cliche groups, they tend to exclude each other and other people,” a LHS student-athlete said. “Even those groups become toxic. it’s just awkward for everyone.”

This toxic behavior can affect some players’ mental health. Being excluded from certain activities can make you feel alone and unheard. This unheard habit is a huge issue on female sports teams.

Toxicity is shared between coaches and players. This issue will and does affect the teams together.