Snapshot Reviews of Student Favorites

The+students+of+LHS+are+interested+in+numerous+genres+of+movies.+The+films+in+this+article+range+from+lighthearted+Disney+movies+to+sentimental+war+movies.+

Courtesy of Disney, IMDb

The students of LHS are interested in numerous genres of movies. The films in this article range from lighthearted Disney movies to sentimental war movies.

LHS is a diverse school, and within a diverse school, there is bound to be a diverse selection of favorite movies and T.V. shows among students. In this article, the author asked a selection of LHS students for their favorite movies, watched them, and reviewed them. The movies range from cheery Disney movies to insightful films of depth. 

“Mulan is a Baddie B,” says Goldie Kitchell, as she explains in a clever rhyme why she likes this movie. “Mulan is on the Telly T. I love Mulan.” (Courtesy of Disney)

“Mulan”: Watched by Goldie Kitchel, Freshman

This is actually a personal favorite of my own, having seen it over 30 times. The movie tells the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan, who takes the spot her father is supposed to fill in the army to fight against the Huns in fear of his health. She cleverly impersonates a man because women aren’t allowed to serve in the army and trains among the other recruits with her dragon sidekick, Mushu. One of the reasons this movie is great is because of the soundtrack. It includes countless amazing songs like “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” and “Reflection”. The overall theme of “Mulan”, embrace your true self, is a great lesson that everyone can learn and relate to. 

★★★★★

“Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”: Watched by Audrey Graham, Freshman

“Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Pearl” is the first film in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series. Though I have seen this movie countless times, it is never less enjoyable than the previous watch. It tells the story of Jack Sparrow, played by Johnny Depp, and blacksmith Will Turner, as they save the kidnapped Elizbeth Swan from the cursed crew of the pirate ship, the Black Pearl, who are cursed to become skeletons in the moonlight. Personally, this is one of the best pirate movies ever made, though that might be due to the ever-amusing Captain Jack Sparrow. Many people enjoy these films because of the iconic Jack Sparrow, and spectators love to see his quirky self carry out his unrealistic witty plans. This movie receives four stars because, personally, it just cannot compare to the first two movies. 

★★★

“The Princess and the Frog”: Watched by Ashanta Curry, Sophmore

“The Princess and the Frog” is one of Disney’s best princess movies. The movie follows the adventure of Tiana, a hardworking waitress in New Orleans, who dreams of opening her own restaurant one day and spoiled Prince Naveen, who has been cut off from his family’s money and turned into a frog by the villain, Dr. Facilier. The reason this movie is so loveable is because of its villain, Dr. Facilier. His character is so amusing because he can do hoodoo dances to charm victims and has a magic shadow. He is one of the most cunning Disney villains and looks out for his and only his desires. I also think his character is interesting because he doesn’t lie. Instead, he uses his words to distract other

people. Also, the fact this is one of the most diverse groups of Disney film characters is remarkable. 

★★★★☆

The Queen’s Gambit has chess, and I love chess,” Radhe Patel says. “Beth Harmon is a very good chess player and I aspire to be like her.”
(Courtesy of Netflix)

“The Queen’s Gambit”: Watched by Radhe Patel, Freshman

This 2020 critically acclaimed Netflix series is a delightful watch. The “Queen’s Gambit” follows the life of orphan chess prodigy, Beth Harmon, and shows her struggles with alcohol and drug dependency. It is set in the mid-1950s to 1960s. This series realistically portrays the chess community, game, and players. The way the actor portrays the main character’s drug dependency and her love for chess makes for an exciting series. Anyone interested in chess, or in great drama, should explore this series too. 

★★★★★

“Hacksaw Ridge”: Watched by Ryan Wylie, Senior 

This was an incredibly clever and interesting movie. Instead of making the film entirely fiction, it follows the true story of Pfc. Desmond T. Doss. The movie sentimentally displays his journey in the Army, where he received the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refraining from carrying a weapon during World War II due to religious beliefs. Doss was drafted and shunned by his fellow troops for his pacifist beliefs, but after risking his life in the Battle of Okinawa to save 75 men without firing a shot, he gained admiration and respect for his bravery, dedication, and compassion. It’s a really touching story about how not everything is solved with violence. Considering this, I only give it three starts because it’s not really a relatable genre most people can relate to, or empathize with. People are more inclined to like a movie if they can somehow apply it to their life, or have experiences that relate them to the character, experiences I just don’t have. 

★★★☆☆