News Briefs: The Speech Team Returns

Jasmine Zimmerman

Speech team stands for a photo as they await results post meet.

Many school events have been affected by COVID-19, the Speech Team being one of them. They returned to in-person meets this 2022 season after 22 months of virtual meets.

Junior Myah Yax and junior Moo Paw preparing for the competition. (Jasmine Zimmerman)

On January 8th, they traveled to Fishers High School and came back strong by placing three top twelve semi-finalists in a tournament with 60 schools and 700 entries. Their second in-person competition was on January 15 when they traveled to Warsaw and placed fourth as a team overall out of 15 schools.

Junior Halle VanCuren favors the return to in-person meets.

“Competing virtually is a whole different ball game than competing in person. I haven’t competed in person since freshman year, and personally, I like the environment of in-person meets. Competing virtually is less nerve-wracking, but the team environment is missing. When competing virtually, you’re in a room by yourself all day,” VanCuren said.

Although COVID is still affecting the team with the quarantining of a lot of the members, the team is still pushing through. At their third in-person tournament at Penn High School on January 22, only seven members of the team were able to compete; although, that didn’t stop the team from placing fifth out of seventeen schools. Their next meet is on February 5 at Hamilton Southeastern High School, where they will be continuing their season in person.

New Magpie Staff

A Spanish translation of this article is available below as “Nuevos Miembros de Urruca.

Sophomore Jasmine Zimmerman is one of the new staff in Magpie class. (Rosalinda Marcos)

LHS Magpie is a class where students write important articles and stories that revolve around the Logansport community and LHS.

At the start of the year, there were only five students on staff, but in the second semester, twelve new students joined.

“I really enjoy being on the Magpie staff. It gives me a creative outlet, and I really enjoy writing, so it’s perfect for me. It helps me get more involved with the school because we’re writing articles mostly about things that happen at school. I’m kind of forced to be more of a part of everything, and I really like that. My favorite part of being in the Magpie class is having others to lean on if I have a problem with an article since we are all a team,” sophomore Jasmine Zimmerman said.

Freshmen

Isabelia Abbott

Jennifer Anaya-Serrano

Benjamin Atkinson

Jaselyn Newbold

Jerika Razer

Justin Snay

Sophomores

Barradas-Majano, Estefany

Dawson, Carissa

Mucker, Payton

Nomany, Vasan

Prifogle, Gretchen

Zimmerman, Jasmine

Nuevos Miembros de Urraca

An English translation of this article is available above as New Magpie Staff.”

Urraca es una clase donde escribimos artículos e historias importantes para la Comunidad de Logansport y a la escuela de LHS.

Jasmine Zimmerman, estudiante de segundo año, una de las nuevas personales en la clase de Urraca. (Rosalinda Marcos)

Iniciando el año en la clase de urraca habían solo cinco alumnos, en el segundo semestre del año se incorporaron 12 alumnos más en la clase de urraca.

“Realmente disfruto estar en el personal de la urraca. Me da una salida creativa y realmente disfruto escribiendo, así que es perfecto para mí. Me ayuda a involucrarme más con la escuela, porque estamos escribiendo artículos principalmente sobre cosas que suceden en la escuela. Estoy un poco forzado a ser más parte de todo y realmente me gusta eso. Mi parte favorita de estar en la clase de la urraca es tener a otros en quienes apoyarme si tengo un problema con un artículo, ya que todos somos un equipo,” dijo la estudiante de segundo año Jasmine Zimmerman.

Freshmen

Isabelia Abbott

Jennifer Anaya-Serrano

Benjamin Atkinson

Jaselyn Newbold

Jerika Razer

Justin Snay

Sophomores

Barradas-Majano, Estefany

Dawson, Carissa

Mucker, Payton

Nomany, Vasan

Prifogle, Gretchen

Zimmerman, Jasmine

Soul Nutrition: A Thriving New Business

The welcoming sign when customers enter Soul Nutrition. (Courtesy of Lauren Weil )

Soul Nutrition has just opened up on the East side of Logansport. They officially opened on Tuesday, January 31. They have tried to make a welcoming environment with free WiFi for people to come in and do work while they sit with a nice beverage.

“The most rewarding thing is seeing many members of the community come together to help make the club a reality,”

Lauren Weil said.

They can be found at 4000 East Market Street #300, Logansport Indiana. Soul Nutrition is open Monday-Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.