News Briefs: Lights, Camera, Action: Tech Crew Win Challenge at Thespian State

Chris Pearcy

For their overall consistent performance as a team across five events in the Tech Challenge, the McHale tech team earned first out of 13 teams.

At Thespian State this year, the McHale Tech Crew participated in the Tech Challenge. This included students sophomore Colby Anderson, senior Brooklyn Gordon, freshman Valeria Cortes, and freshman Justin Snay.

In addition to earning first, the McHale tech team earned several prizes, including USITT shirts, lighting wrenches, an ETC bag, and Multiverse Show Baby transmitters. (Chris Pearcy)

“There are five events. Drop fold, hang a light, leg a platform, prop shift, and knots. Drop fold is a four-person event. Leg platform and prop shift are both two-person events. Hang a light and knots are one-person events. I participated in all five events,” Cortes said.

Overall, the team performed very well and won many awards. For Overall Team Performance, the team received first place. For Fold a Backdrop, at 26.25 seconds, the whole team was awarded third place. With times of 59.52 seconds for Props Quick Change and 93.97 seconds for Leg a Platform, Anderson and Gordon won third place for both events. At the two single-person events, Brooklyn Gordon managed to get third. She won a consistency award and a $25 Darden Restaurants gift card for placing third in all five events.

“Overall, I had a great time. We got to walk around and have fun. I really enjoyed spending time with my team and working with them on the events,” Cortes said.

GSA is Looking for New Leadership

Press Release

GSA is holding open elections for club president this week and will announce the winner by next Tuesday. If you want to take an important role in advocating for LGBT+ rights in our school, stop by Mr. Hedrick’s room G105 and fill out a candidate form. Presidential duties include:

• Working with counselors and administration on GSA projects scheduling biweekly meetings
  • Fundraising
  • Community outreach
  • Being knowledgeable about LGBT+ talking points

Candidates MUST:

• Be at least a Sophomore
  • Have C-average or above grades
  • Be available after school every other Monday and Tuesday
  • Have consistent attendance in person and in e-learning

Candidate forms are due by Friday 02/11/2022. GSA will have an online ballot posted on this Schoology group and physical ballots in Mr. Hedrick’s room. Voting closes after school on Monday 02/21/2022 and we will announce the new President the next day on 02/22 at the meeting.

If you have any questions you can email current president junior Mazzie Schwering or English teacher Nathana Hedrick.