Reflecting on COVID

Nurses Angel Hopper and Natalie Pineda look over medical records. During COVID, they were frequently swamped with COVID related issues.

COVID has gotten better in Cass County with the number of cases lowering, it’s not as bad as it used to be for schools and workplaces. Even with COVID being better in school, it has hurt some students in more ways than one.

“I did not really do well during hybrid,” senior Taelynn Benish said. “I’m more of an in-class person and hands-on with the teacher, asking questions, and online, I get distracted very easily with my phone.”

COVID ruined some students’ expectations of how their school year would go with extracurricular activities or how classes would be.

“I missed sectionals for swim,” Benish said. “We just couldn’t go because our teammate had COVID. I was watching the sectionals at home, on my computer, crying because I couldn’t be there.”

COVID made it hard for students with the constant changing of the school schedule.

“We went hybrid for a while,” freshman Sydney Vo said. “I just lost motivation to do my work. I just did not turn anything in.”

Nurse offices were very occupied dealing with a lot of students at a time.

“It was chaos,” school nurse Natalie Pineda said. “Our focus really kind of shifted to getting sick kids home. We were also doing contact tracing, so it was just too much”

COVID had the nurses occupied with students and also had the nurses adapting to the changes made during COVID.

“We were constantly adapting to new policies,” Pineda said. “Constantly looking at new data to see what best works for the corporation.”

Logansport School Corporation is close to the finish line of this long race with COVID.
“We have undoubtedly come so far, and our numbers are much better,” principal Matt Jones said. “That said, we still must remain vigilant and mindful of variants of COVID while following protocols.”