New Pastimes Found During Quarantine

Since COVID-19 has begun and harsh quarantine was implemented, everyone has been trying to adjust to their new copious amounts of free time. With being out of school for approximately five months, many LHS students have found new things to occupy the endless opportunities for leisure.

A common way quite a few people decided to utilize their time was catching up on their extensive Netflix watchlist. It can be hard to find a balance between binge watching antics and becoming a hermit.

“I watched a few new shows like Jane The Virgin and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but I wish I would’ve spent more valuable time outside maybe on my family’s new trampoline,” senior Mallori Alder said.

Many student athletes spent the summer preparing for the upcoming fall season, despite the uncertainty of whether they would even be able to play or not.

“I spent a lot of my time working out, specifically running in preparation for the cross country season. Sometimes I would get a little discouraged as quarantine went on because the plans for the next season were really up in the air,” senior Azucena Hernandez said.

It isn’t out of the ordinary for high schooler students to just be starting their first job. Even with COVID-19 wreaking havoc on the access to most public spaces, many students still opted to fulfill this rite of passage.

“A bit into quarantine, I decided to apply for a job. I spent most of my free time working, and I really enjoyed it. When I wasn’t working, I spent my time at home learning piano,” sophomore Gracie Kitchell said.

Many students have even taken their time to explore new creative outlets. Along with learning new instruments, some spent their time furthering their knowledge and skills of music composition.

“I started to become more interested in music and video editing. I composed a drumline show using ‘Circles’ by Post Malone and wrote the sheet music,” senior Carter Harris said.

There are numerous ways to occupy any free time that may pop up in your schedule. Whether it’s finding a new hobby or picking up an old one, there is no right or wrong way to spend your time.