New Teacher Q&A: English Learning and Choral Fun

With the new school year, LHS has introduced new staff members in various departments
Standing in front of her class, English teacher Elizabeth Berlet tells students  the plan for the day.
Standing in front of her class, English teacher Elizabeth Berlet tells students the plan for the day.
Veda Fagner

How long have you been teaching?

Elizabeth Berlet, English teacher: This is my first year teaching. I was a student teacher here last year during the spring semester for Mrs. Myers and Mrs. Graham. Logansport High School provided a great place for me to start, so I was so excited to interview when a position opened up.

Emily Brooke, choral director: This is my first teaching job, but I had many opportunities to teach in schools while at college. I have been teaching in schools for two years across all grade levels and loved every minute of it. 

Angela Ticen, choral director: This is my first year of certified teaching, but I have been teaching private piano lessons, accompanying and leading ensembles since I was in high school.

Do you enjoy the subject that you teach?

Berlet: English was always my favorite subject in high school. I love to read and write. I am so excited to be in the classroom and to teach the subject.

Brooke: I have a passion for teaching and a passion for vocal music, so I really enjoy teaching choir. I love coming to work and doing what I love. I’m also a choreographer, and I have many opportunities to show my love for dance when working with the Swing Choir. Being a choir director is such an exciting and rewarding profession.

Ticen: I love music more than anything. I believe that it is life-changing, healing and a vital part of the human experience.

What has it been like adjusting to a new school?

Berlet: It’s been a learning experience for sure. I grew up going to a small high school with 700 students in total. It was grades 7-12, talk about a major change. However, change is all part of learning. I am thankful for the staff here at Logansport High School who have all been so kind to me and very helpful with all the questions I have. 

Brooke: Adjusting to this school has been very smooth for me. I feel welcomed by the school community and by the students. I had a realization a few days into school when I thought to myself, “Oh, I’m a real teacher now.” Since I’ve never been a “real” teacher before, my biggest adjustment was figuring out what needed to be done behind the scenes.

Ticen: I’ve been very lucky to have the amazing music culture surrounding Logansport. All the high school choirs have been extremely motivated and willing to experiment with my different ways of teaching. They have made the transition very easy.

How does it differ from previous schools?

Brooke: I taught sixth to eighth-grade choir at the school I was at previously. This year, I will be teaching fifth to 12th graders. Although I have experience teaching across all grade levels, it is different because I see all grade levels every day. I think it’s great that I get to see so many students across all grade levels.

Ticen: Logansport has a very close-knit music department. Even across choirs, people are friends with each other or at least know of each other. There is also an abundance of musical talent among the student body. You don’t see this everywhere.