The Berry Bean Cafe: A Staple at LHS

Despite COVID-19 and construction closures, the Berry Bean continues to fulfill students’ coffee needs
While initially opening in 2020, the Berry Bean has been affected by COVID-19 and renovations.
Jennifer Anaya-Serrano

The Berry Bean Cafe didn’t come into existence by accident. Its journey began when teachers and other staff members noticed that many students were bringing their coffee to school. They recognized the need for a dedicated space where students could relax, socialize and study. Additionally, they saw an opportunity to provide a college-like atmosphere, especially since LHS offers college credit classes.

To turn this vision into reality, the construction trades classes at the Century Career Center took on the challenge. They undertook a transformative project, converting the library’s study rooms into a cozy coffee shop. This involved removing walls and merging spaces to create an inviting environment for students.

“The coffee shop is more than just a place to grab a drink,” Principal Matt Jones said. “It has become a hub that promotes a sense of community and productivity among our students. It’s a welcoming and comfortable area for students to gather, work on assignments, and engage in their studies.”

This project had a significant impact on both students and staff. Students had the opportunity to have a say in the cafe’s design, giving them a sense of ownership and comfort in their new space. The construction class had a new project to work on, further enhancing their skills.

The concept for a coffee shop at LHS even involved students voting on their preferred designs to ensure the space was comfortable and appealing to them. However, a challenge arose unexpectedly due to the COVID-19 pandemic closing Berry Bean, and it remained closed during the renovation of the school library into the Logansport Savings Bank Student Union. 

“Tons of products had to be thrown away since we couldn’t open,” Cafeteria Supervisor Michelle Helvie said. “Students and staff missed out on enjoying the new area, and students didn’t get the experience of having a job. Essentially, we had to start over when we were able to reopen.”

The Berry Bean reopened last year.

However, the cafe also served as a valuable teaching tool. It allowed students to explore and demonstrate skills beyond their core competencies. They learned to craft various drinks, using their imagination to create new, appealing beverages that would attract customers and generate revenue.

“When we first opened, I had to come in a day before,” cafeteria helper Liannette Lugo, who was among the cafe’s initial staff, said. “It was a challenge since I had to learn everything about each drink, from measurements to making them taste better. We also had to create drinks that were both sugar-free and healthy, which was a unique challenge. We’re constantly exploring new drinks, especially during different seasons.”