Girls Reach State, Pinned in First Matches

Sophomore Olivia Gibson and senior Marcy Zagal wrestle at the wrestling state meet
After a meet, senior Marcy Zagal and sophomore Olivia Gibson pose with coaches Sam Fry and Josh Gibson.
Courtesy of Miranda Boucher

Girls wrestling has grown over the last eight years. The numbers have risen from around 100 to almost 2,000 girls.

“I hope more girls will come out as we offer more girls-only events,” coach Sam Fry said. “Our middle school team just started, and we currently have six girls who have come out. I hope the number goes up, and we can grow a powerhouse in the community.”

At the start of the season, senior Marcy Zagal had a strong start, placing second in her first tournament. After a rough patch, she came back and made it to state.

After finishing her match at state, Gibson poses for a picture. (Courtsey of Miranda Boucher)

“I feel that I started on a really good foot,” Zagal said. “Then, at the next tournament that I went to, I didn’t even place at all, so then I had a rocky moment there. But, overall, I feel like I’ve gone to every practice I could, and I made the effort. So, I feel my season has been good.”

Throughout her sophomore season, Olivia Gibson has worked to show improvement from her freshman year. She worked to make improvements and become the best wrestler she can be.

“Overall, I feel the season has gone really well,” Gibson said.” Overall, I have gotten so much better from freshman year to now.”

The girls competed at semi-state as they fought to find their spot at state.

“Semi-state went as well as we could hope,” Fry said. “We qualified two girls from regionals and both placed fourth or higher, advancing to the state finals.”

The girls competed at state on Jan. 12 at Kokomo High School. Both girls lost in the first round.

“While we would have loved to have been placed higher,” Fry said. “It is a great achievement just to qualify. Close to 2000 girls started in the regionals, and only 224 qualified for state. So, by making it, you are in the top 10% of all girls in the state.”