Column: Keep Your Head Up

Life can be tough, but you’ve got this
Education can help you fight through tough times
Veda Fagner

Many kids go through foster care in their childhood. Foster care is a group that helps kids who are not in the best situation, and it’s supposed to try to make the best of the worst for these kids. I was in foster care for six months, and I went through 12 different homes. It was a hard time in my childhood, but I got past it when I was finally placed with my dad.

Many other people have had the same experience, but despite eventually meeting a happy ending, many had to look to other things for support and distraction from their situation. Sophomore Tyrone Bastien used music to fill this role.

“Music helps me escape from everything, especially drumming and making music,” Bastien said.

I was young when my sister and I were taken away from my mother, but we were lucky to have each other. Some kids aren’t as lucky as we were, and sometimes kids are ripped away from their parents and siblings. It’s an unfortunate process for kids to go through, but it’s a measure that’s necessary. The idea of foster care started in the 1500s. Almost 606,031 kids have been through the United States foster care program. Charles Loring Brace founded the program.

It’s crucial, no matter the circumstance, to remain positive and hopeful if you find yourself in the foster care system.

Freshman Marissa Schoenradt was in the hospital due to her illness. Schoenradt has been in and out of the hospital her whole life, yet she keeps her head up and fights for her education. She has two friends, including me, who went through foster care, but even though she didn’t go through foster care, she still had her fair share of challenges that she had to overcome.

“Some things that I had to keep my head up about was when I was in the hospital all the time and wasn’t able to see my friends,” Schoenradt said.

Like Schoenradt, even through these tough times, I kept my head up and completed my schoolwork. Focusing on schoolwork can be a good thing and serve as a distraction. Think of it this way: unfortunately, you cannot control what happens in your life, but you can control what happens in the future. Don’t give up on yourself when things get hard. Fight harder to get an education.

Freshman Juliet Rieger was bullied in sixth grade because of her sexuality. This went on for a full year. Rieger kept her head up during this event, not caring about what people said about her. She kept a stronghold.

“It’s getting the work in, finishing the year with solid grades, and spending time with friends who stuck by me throughout the semesters that’s important,” Rieger said.

Education is your ticket out to be someone you want to be. Find someone or something that keeps you motivated because motivation helps a lot to achieve people’s goals, even if that means it’s someone you love, sports, or friends it can be anything. Just keep it positive.

“Talk to an adult you trust and let them know what is going on,” Schoenradt said. “Maybe they can help you or your friends. It’s what I do. I talk to friends and family and teachers to let them know ‘Hey, I am having a rough day and just need some time to think.'”

It doesn’t mean when you feel beaten down and broken to stay in silence. Life is tough and complicated, but you must remember to control your mind and your future. Don’t let others tell you what your future is going to be. Life can have its surprises that throw people off track, but that’s when you get back up and try again until you succeed. That is what life is about, trial and error.

“I just accept that it’s happening and try to fix what I can. But, knowing that you can’t fix it is also just a part of the patch itself. Despite that, I just wait until it passes and move on,” Rieger said.