The Man Behind the Camera

Getting to know Pharos Tribune reporter Josh Flynn, who reports with a purpose within the community
After sitting in a Mayors Youth Advisory Council meeting, local reporter Josh Flynn poses for a picture at the city building
After sitting in a Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council meeting, local reporter Josh Flynn poses for a picture at the city building
Gretchen Prifogle

Within the busyness of the community comes many opportunities for a reporter to write different articles about the events that take place within Cass County. Most of these articles are written by the well-known reporter Josh Flynn. 

Flynn is a staff reporter who has worked at the local newspaper, The Pharos-Tribune, for two years, primarily reporting on education as well as the arts. From the beginning, Flynn wasn’t always a writer at heart. His love for journalism and writing started when he took a class at Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis. It was called The Art of Fact, which was a journalism class in disguise. 

“I started as an art student and later changed to an English major my junior year,” Flynn said. “I was about to drop out of school. But, my first English teacher saved me from doing that, and she became my favorite professor.” 

After taking The Art of Fact, something sparked the interest within Flynn in the world of journalism. 

“Had anyone else been teaching that class, I would have dropped it,” Flynn said. “I didn’t want to go talk to people, but I couldn’t do that to my favorite professor, Anne Williams. I was terrified, but it changed my life. I won a couple of awards in that class, and I even graduated with my English degree to pursue more classes in journalism in grad school at Ball State.”

Flynn knew that he wanted to pursue journalism long-term after finding out that he was passionate about celebrating the things he liked the most.

“Before I got started in journalism, I remember a friend in college told me that I was always promoting something,” Flynn said. “There was always a band I was talking about or a movie that I was obsessed with. Once I found out that journalism was an opportunity for me to celebrate the topics I loved most, it just made sense. I don’t like to talk about myself. I like to talk about other people.” 

Within the community, there are a lot of activities that are covered in the Pharos Tribune. Flynn has impacted others by covering their academic successes and activities throughout the school. 

Through his reporting, Josh has helped put a spotlight on aspects that sometimes go uncovered in Logansport,” senior Finley Gay said. “He first interviewed me for his article about “Mamma Mia!” in Nov. 2022. It always gave me a little thing to look forward to for every show.” 

In the art world, Flynn does his job with passion and no hesitation. For others, he is seen as a caring reporter who is never afraid to reach out.

Josh is the first reporter in decades who has contributed meaningful efforts to our PT,” English teacher Jessica Kranz said. “He is the only one who features performance arts information without being prodded to do so and actively reaches out to involve himself within these organizations. Josh is not just a reporter doing his job. He cares. He invests. He genuinely wants to know.”

Josh Flynn uses his tape recorder to interview freshman Christain Humana about P-Tech. (Chris Pearcy)

Not only does Flynn cover the people who impact the school corporation, but the ones who impact the community organizations as well. 

“It is important for our community to understand the good that comes from not only the school system but from all of the other community organizations and events,” Assistant Principal Dr. Christy Diehl said. “In a world where news can seem like doom and gloom, Josh can shine a light on the positivity that our community has to offer. Not only is he a staple in the school corporation, but he is a true champion of all things that Logansport has to offer.”

Flynn is known for holding his camera along with his tape recorder while wearing his signature gray beanie and scarf. Many of the students in Cass County know him for his signature style. 

“We at the theater program love Josh Flynn,” senior Ivy Padilla said. “We adore his style so much that we featured him as a model at the SNL fashion night skit. Whenever we see him in public or the Mchale auditorium, we get so excited because that beanie and scarf means that we are in Josh Flynn’s presence.”

During his time as a journalist, Flynn has written articles about anxiety and mental health to express the importance of it. Last year, he wrote an article titled “Flynn: A Letter About Mental Health For My Cass County Kids.” 

In the article, he expresses how important overcoming mental health and anxiety is and even explains his struggles with anxiety and depression. Through his journey, he learned a lot about himself and hopes that others reach out if they need help with their mental health.

“Ask a parent, a teacher, someone at your church, anyone you trust,” Flynn wrote. “They will always try to help if you ask. And check on your friends. Ask them if they are ok. Ask them what you can do to help. Be patient. Time does heal. And this world needs you. Cass County needs you. There are amazing people in Cass County, but I believe you are the best of us.  Life is difficult. It always will be. But there are moments worth fighting for. Choose to be. Be a friend. Be a teammate. Be happy. Be creative. Be weird. Be yourself. Be alive.”

The staff and the students will remember his contributions. He has left his mark in Cass County. 

“Logansport needed someone like Josh Flynn,” senior Jasmine Zimmerman said. “He gives us young adults the ability to let our voices be heard, which is something we so rarely have access to. Ask any of my peers, and they’ll give you the same answer. We love Josh Flynn.” 

View Comments (2)
$610
$500