Q&A: Charmaine Discusses Special Ed Murals

Bringing more representation to the halls of LHS
This new mural is one of three in the Special Education hallway. All are meant to give special needs students more representation.
Chris Pearcy

Why is this mural important to create?  

We’re doing several murals. In two rooms, we are painting calming scenes in their two emotional-regulation rooms. One is abstract and wavy, using various tones of blue, and the other is a nature scene that is full of trees, flowers and mountains. These are important because we need to make the spaces look like what they are meant for. Calming rooms to help students regulate their emotions when emotions get too big. 

In the hallways, we’re painting several Felixes that represent a variety of disabilities and needs. It’s important that we see representation that reflects our school population. Some kids use wheelchairs. Some of us need some hyper time on the trampoline, so the Felixes reflect that.

This welcome mural sits outside of the Special Education office.

What was the process of coming up with the idea?

In a discussion with the Special Needs office, they said they wanted their hallway to be more alive and welcoming. I offered up my Advanced 2D class as a way to combine our interests. Theirs for more color, and ours for learning how to paint and plan.

Who participated in creating it?

My Advanced 2D class drew several drafts of murals which were approved by the special needs office and then we broke up into teams to tackle the separate murals  

What was the inspiration for this mural?

We started by doing research about what colors were calming, what patterns were too stimulating, etc. Then we did the drafts, and now we’re working steadily on completing them.