Q&A: Teachers Reflect on the 2023-2024 School Year

Teachers look back at the year and forward to next year

April Beene, English Teacher

What is your favorite memory from this school year?
This year, I really enjoyed getting to know my Early College freshmen. They all have big personalities and a great amount of curiosity. Seeing them go from shy and silent in January to opinionated and energetic in May was a joy.

What is one thing you plan on doing better for next year?
I am revamping all of my classes, essentially making changes based on what I’ve seen this year. I have found that students are very distracted lately. Essays and units that took three weeks in past years are taking longer and longer, and students are still rushing at the last minute to get things done. I plan to make changes that will address that issue by teaching students how to stay focused, use class time responsibility, and produce work that they are proud of.

What was your greatest achievement this year?
My greatest achievement this year was introducing another group of AP Literature students to the genius that is Toni Morrison.

Emily Graham, EL Teacher

Emily Graham (Tattler)

One of my favorite memories from this school year is when my students read Christmas stories to the preschool students at CCC.

Next year, I plan to work on grammar even more with my students because it helps improve all four areas of English: reading, listening, speaking and writing.

Do you have a goal for next school year?

My goal for next year is to develop my skills in teaching students how to read more effectively. Even at the high school level, students can improve their reading.

My greatest achievement this year is seeing my EL students grow so much in their use of English.

Matt Jones, Principal

Matt Jones (Tattler)

A school year is filled with many cherished memories, making it difficult to choose just one. However, the 153rd Commencement Ceremony on June 2 at 2 p.m. is a standout event and a significant milestone in our students’ lives. So, for me, it’s hard to beat Commencement.

I want to increase my visibility during the school day instead of spending too much time in the office working on tasks like preparing for events, sending emails, returning phone calls, attending meetings, conducting evaluations, and updating the school website and social media. While these tasks are essential, I aim to be more visible as the principal by interacting with our students and staff.

I work on goals with our superintendent annually. Mrs. Starkey and I come up with a few professional and personal goals. For example, one goal for this year was to establish a Military Wall of Honor. We are happy that nearly 700 names have been submitted, and our dedication ceremony will be on May 27, Memorial Day, at 3 p.m. So, some goals are still to be determined. Having over 90% of students graduate in four years is an ongoing goal.

The greatest achievement is collective among our school community. I attended the recent Ivy Tech Community College commencement ceremony and watched ten seniors earn their associate degrees and 61 with the Indiana College Core. Expanding our dual credit opportunities has been a real point of pride for LHS.

Shane LeFaure, French and Spanish Teacher

Shane LeFaure (Tattler)

Homecoming and the Homecoming events were absolutely awesome.

We hope to get more Spanish and French students to participate in the Spanish and French Club. We currently have many members in both clubs. However, they are not all in French and Spanish classes.

My goal for next year is to continue to promote French and Spanish. We are hoping to also have more fun activities such as going to museums, playing games outdoors, movie night, etc.

Our greatest achievement this year was bringing French and French Club back to LHS. It has been a total success.

Grace Scott, Instructional Coach

Grace Scott (Tattler)

This has been an incredible school year for me. It was my first year as an instructional coach, and I also served as the facilitator for the Tomorrow’s Teachers program through IUK. In many aspects, it was similar to being a first-year teacher all over again, but I leaned into the learning and growth.

I loved connecting with our brand new teachers at LHS and supporting them in the classroom. It was rewarding to witness their growth as teachers and how they were able to positively support students in their classrooms. I also had a front-row seat to watching the PTECH students blossom this year. I am so proud of their hard work and personal growth. The sky is the limit for these young scholars.

Next year, I look forward to using my skills and newfound knowledge in instructional coaching at The Academy.

I am very excited to support the staff at The Academy and to jump back into the English classroom. The future is so bright, and I am excited to apply everything I have learned this year.

I truly believe if I was able to help just one teacher through a tough situation, ease their stress and give them peace of mind, then I accomplished my goal as an instructional coach. I am also very excited about the future teachers graduating from Tomorrow’s Teachers. They are going to be incredible educators, and I am so grateful that I played a small part in their journey.