Books to Check Out in the Library

Rosalinda Marcos

Una nueva colección de libros recién llegados recopilados por la profesora de inglés Tamara Minks.

A Spanish translation of this article is available as “Libros para Repasar en la Biblioteca.”

LHS has new books to check out and new collections in the library.

Minks is a librarian, English teacher, and English department chair here at LHS. Minks can be located in room G120 or G122. (Rosalinda Marcos)

Tammy Minks is a librarian, English teacher, and chair of the English department at LHS.

“Right now, we have so many great books from minority authors. I am constantly building our collection and happy to say that our library has something for everyone. Our students here enjoy books on true crime, fantasy, and realistic fiction. Right now, Jason Reynold’s novels about teens and sports are very popular,” Minks said.

The month of February is celebrated on the first day of Black History Month.

“For us, Black History Month will never be just a month. The library is filled with contemporary and classic African-American writers to enjoy throughout the year. The English Department curriculum here at LHS also includes a wide variety of minority writers,” Minks said.

The library has new collections of poetry.

“I’m also busy building our poetry collection, and these books are flying off the shelves. Collections by Rupy Kerr, Amanda Lovelace, Billy Collins, and Elizabeth Hopkins are especially popular right now. April is National Poetry Month, but I celebrate poets and poetry every day, now we also have many popular series. Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush series is very popular, and of course, Neil Shusterman and Scott Westerfield have books in the series that we can’t keep in stock,” Minks said.

These are new graphic novels books that can be checked out from the library. (Rosalinda Marcos)

In May the library will have new books.

“I just placed a new order for books that will arrive in early May. I use student recommendations as my main source for ordering books. I also took recommendations from teachers and referred to reviews in Kirkus, The New York Times Book Review, and many other sources that specialize in young adult and adult fiction and nonfiction,” Minks said.

She continued to explain that many students are passionate about learning.

“I have been fortunate to meet many passionate student readers at LHS. They are fiercely loyal to their favorite authors and share their enthusiasm for reading with anyone who will listen. They have a desire to learn about people who are very different from them and often say that a book changed them in fundamental ways. Of course, there is much to be gained by reading just to escape and get lost in another world. It keeps our imaginations active, builds empathy for others, and is the perfect antidote to boredom,” Minks said.

Books to review for Black History Month: