Basketball Games From a Cheerleader’s Point of View

Payton Mucker

All varsity cheerleaders cheer on the Berries as they play against Richmond.

Sophomore Kate Barber cheers with her team for the Berries. (Payton Mucker)

When viewing any sport, there are multiple points of view for a variety of people based on their location in the venue. Some of the viewpoints could be from students, athletes, or spectators. When looking at a game from the perspective of an athlete, it is considerably different than looking at it from the standpoint of spectators. Cheerleaders, for example, can relate.

“I think being able to cheer versus being in the bleachers is different but also very similar,” senior Kayla Ortiz said, “It is similar because we are all cheering for the same team and rooting for our team to win. The cheerleaders have to stay positive compared to people who sit in the bleachers, or the student section, who are allowed to yell at the referees and the players of the opposite team. They make rude comments like harassing them, but not really, because it is just high school basketball and it should not be taken that serious. I have only been part of the student section once, and I can say that when I was a part of the student section, I was not paying attention to the game and as focused as I was compared to when I cheer.”

Freshmen Isabella Lucero, Madyson Camp, and Sophia Kay cheer on the team during a 60 second time out. (Payton Mucker)

Being in the stands, it is not the same as being among the athletes. People in the bleachers are free to do nearly anything they want, but athletes must do as they are told and complete their duties.

“I think the biggest difference is the obvious,” Pep Club President Maggie Fincher said, “The people who are cheerleaders and athletes are performing or competing. They have to be clean, smooth, and know what they’re doing. People in the stand can go just to hang out and support the team. They aren’t obligated to put on a show for the audience, so being in the stands, you can mess around and just have a good time.”

It isn’t always easy from the standpoint of a cheerleader. They must pay attention to the game and ensure that they are aware of timeouts and the end of the quarters in order to perform cheers.

“It’s not easy because you always have to be thinking ahead. On top of doing chants during the game, we have to watch the game along with the refs and coaches. We do different things for every free throw, 30 second timeouts, and 60 second timeouts. You get to learn the game without even realizing it,” senior Lorena Alvarez said.

As the games progress, at times cheerleaders have their own opinions about how the game is going. These remarks can sometimes be positive or even negative.

“I always hope we win. Typically, in my head, I try to figure out ways that the plays could have went better. I always root for the Berries,” senior Cheyenne Parmeter said.

Another cheerleader also expressed her own thoughts about watching the game.

Sophomores Elizabeth Evans and Emily Sanchez wait for the starting five players names to be called to drop their scrolls. (Payton Mucker)

“Depending on how the game goes, sometimes it’s really boring and sometimes it’s super intense,” Alvarez said. “I’m not gonna lie. I don’t know a lot about basketball, but it’s always interesting to watch the game. Sometimes, if I get too into the game, my thoughts are little mean. I’m a very competitive person, and in my head I’ll be yelling along with Mr. Lange and all the other fans who go to the games. Although I don’t understand everything, I feel proud to be cheering on my team.”

Being in the spotlight isn’t always for everyone, but for Logansport Cheerleaders, it seems like a piece of cake. There is little doubt that the enormous amount of tricks and flips that have been seen during the season will get even better for next year’s season.

“Cheer isn’t always for everyone because you need to be able to motivate yourself and get excited even if the game isn’t going your way. You have to keep the crowd going. This season, I’ve loved performing at halftime shows. For next year, I’m excited to cheer at football games again and challenge myself for the new season,” sophomore Alexis Enyeart said.