Profile: 10 Questions Foreign Exchange Student Edition

Both Bassma El-Zoubi and Chiara Bosisio participated in the dance team.

Sarah Fisher

Bassma El-Zoubi

Bassma El-Zoubi is a junior foreign exchange student from Jordan who is attending LHS this year. She is a member of the Logansport Dance Team and has performed at various different events with them, such as the Dia de Los Muertos celebration held at the State Theater.

Bassma El-Zoubi poses in front of the Jordan flag. (Courtesy of Bassma El-Zoubi)

1. Where are you from and what is it like?

I’m from Jordan. It’s a small country in the Middle East. It’s the connecting country of three continents. It’s very family oriented and has a rich culture and history.

2. What’s the most shocking or interesting thing you’ve seen since you came to Indiana?

The diversity and different cultures I get to experience besides the American culture. Like Hispanic culture where I can meet people from South American countries and learn about their culture and foods.

3. What are your hobbies?

Singing, dancing, drawing, and watching movies and shows. I find myself enjoying the different ways where I can express myself, and that’s why I’m on the dance team!

4. Why did you choose to join the foreign exchange student program?

I decided to apply for the program because I saw the opportunity to come here and live one year with an American family. It excited me to think that I will have a new and unique experience in my teen years.

5. How are American schools different from schools in your country?

They are different because in my schools we don’t walk to classes, but teachers do, and we have a different schedule everyday. Classes are much shorter, and we leave around 1:00 PM. We don’t have sports after schools, which means we get to have the rest of days to ourselves. Homework is very simple, too. It doesn’t require a lot of energy.

6. What’s the worst American food you’ve tried and why?

I think the sausage biscuits and gravy were my least favorite. I didn’t like the combination of the different ingredients.

7. What’s the best American food you’ve tried and why?

Sycamore was really awesome and new to me. I love their ice cream! Being able to try all unique flavors they have is very exciting.

8. What are the coolest things you’ve done since you came to Indiana?

I joined the dance team and preformed for different events, and Dia de Los Muertos was one of my favorite days here. We danced for the event, and we got to see the culture and traditions for this day from Hispanic people.

9. What do you miss most about your country?

I miss my family and friends of course, but I also really miss the food. I miss the big city since I lived in the capital city. I also miss being able to stay out late with friends and do random things at night.

10. Have you enjoyed this experience and why?

Yes, I have an amazing host family. I’m learning and growing everyday, and I’ve made really good friends and learned from them as well. I feel really blessed to have come to Logansport and met everyone!

Chiara Bosisio

Chiara Bosisio is a junior foreign exchange student from Italy who is attending LHS. She is also a member of the Logansport Dance Team and has performed at numerous performances for them. Bassma and Chiara are very good friends.

Chiara Bosisio poses in front of a beach. (Courtesy of Chiara Bosisio)

I’m from Trento, a city surrounded by mountains in the northeast of Italy. Trento is much bigger than Logansport, but the weather is quite the same as here.

The most shocking thing was to discover that American people are sure that pepperoni pizza is Italian. Guys, it’s not. You don’t find pepperoni pizza in Italy.

3. What are your hobbies?

My hobbies are playing escape games on my phone, hanging out with friends, and spending time with my host family.

I did it because I wanted to test myself. I’ve always thought that I’ve been lucky in my life, and I wanted to see if even in a completely unknown and difficult situation, I would be able to adapt and be happy. This will make me more secure of myself in the future.

There are a lot of differences. First of all, we have five years of high school. Second, we don’t change class every hour. We stay every year and every day with the same people of the class (unless when you change schools or you have to repeat a year), and it’s the teacher that comes in. We have a break of 15 minutes after the third period, and every day of the week has a different schedule from the others. We can’t choose the classes we take. They are already decided by the school. There are different types of high schools (For example, scientific, artistic, language, etc.), and you have to choose which one to go to based on what you like or plan to do in the future. Shocking fact: We don’t have sports in the school. There are only the two regular mandatory hours of P.E. If you wish to do a sport, you have to go out of the school and pay to do it. Last, but not least, we don’t have events in the school such as homecoming or prom.

Pizza with barbecue sauce. I know a lot of people now will say ‘Whaaaat,’ but I really can’t stand it. The barbecue takes all the flavor of the pizza. It’s like eating barbecue sauce instead of pizza.

Pumpkin pie with cream, when I ate it the first time, I fell in love. It’s soft and delicious. I would eat one piece after every meal.

I’ve done a lot of things. I participated to some fancy events, and I did trick or treat (We don’t usually do it in Italy). I went to Florida two times, and there for the first time I saw dolphins, I petted stingrays, I fished, and I played mini golf. Here in town, I jumped on trampolines, and I did tubing on the lake. I also went to two football games of the Colts in Indianapolis, and to two of our school. For me, all this was super cool because it was my first time ever.

I miss my family and friends. They were part of my everyday life, and now that they are not. I really miss their presence. At least we still talk everyday by messages. Another thing I miss is public transportation. I can’t drive, and here there are no busses or trains that can take me where I need to go, so I have to depend on others to go where I want.

10. Have you enjoyed this experience and why or why not?

I’m really enjoying this experience. I’m very grateful to my host parents because they made me feel wanted and part of the family since the beginning. I met a lot of new important people, and I feel sad if I think about leaving them at the end of the year. I feel like I’m living every day at my best, and it makes me feel very happy and proud of myself. Furthermore, every new experience I’m having here will stay in my memories forever, making me forever grateful.