Indiana Colleges: “Top Five”

Recognized+as+one+of+the+top+universities+in+the+United+States%2C+Notre+Dame+is+consistently+ranked+and+admired+as+one+of+the+most+beautiful+universities+around+the+world.+This+is+mainly+due+to+the+renowned+Golden+Dome%2C+above%2C+the+Basilica+and+its+stained+glass+windows%2C+and+Touchdown+Jesus%2C+a+mural+of+Jesus+visible+from+Notre+Dame%E2%80%99s+football+stadium.+

University of Notre Dame / Flickr / (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Recognized as one of the top universities in the United States, Notre Dame is consistently ranked and admired as one of the most beautiful universities around the world. This is mainly due to the renowned Golden Dome, above, the Basilica and its stained glass windows, and Touchdown Jesus, a mural of Jesus visible from Notre Dame’s football stadium.

Indiana has one of the longest and most distinguished histories in education, so all Hoosiers stand to benefit from attending an Indiana college or university. There are numerous types of colleges and universities in Indiana, ranging from renowned research universities, large colleges with large campus life, and smaller schools, with equally valuable educational opportunities, despite their small size. From College Choice, this “top five” list factors in both academic quality and return on investment, and with that, this list shows the “top five” colleges in Indiana.

1. University of Notre Dame

The private, catholic university known as Notre Dame is situated in Notre Dame, Indiana. It continues to rank among the top 20 institutions in the world and is associated with the Congregation of the Holy Cross. 

“This school has an unsurpassed reputation when it comes to education; it has been consistently ranked in the top 20 colleges and universities both nationally and internationally,” College Choice said. “It confers over 200 degrees at all levels of education, including pre-professional and specialist programs.”

Its top three degree programs are Master in Business Administration, Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, and Science Pre-Professional Program (Pre-Med).

2. Purdue University

Purdue, second on the list, is a school dedicated to agricultural and STEM subjects. Over 900 registered student organizations may be found on the Purdue campus, including activist and political organizations, multicultural organizations, and more. The Grand Prix, Spring Fest, and the Boiler Gold Rush are three popular annual school events. The majority of the student body belongs to at least one group, which contributes to the inclusive and positive campus climate.

“I like Purdue because of its Veterinary Program,” freshman Allison Miranda said. “It has a really interesting program that focuses on advancing animal health. Also, the ‘Big 10 culture’ is something I’m really interested in.”

Its top three degree programs are: Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Business Administration, and Doctor of Pharmacology. 

3. Indiana University

The Sample Gates are an iconic part of the Indiana University – Bloomington campus. After construction finished in 1987, IU President John Ryan said, “The gates stand as a monument to those who have gone before us, to the work and vision of all who’ve helped bring this university to greatness.” Now, alumni visit to get into an “IU state of mind”, and graduates flock there in their caps in gowns. (Indiana University Bloomington / Wikimedia Commons / (CC BY-SA 3.0))

Indiana University, or by its more popular name, IU, is one of the most recognized universities in Indiana. Through its

17 colleges and schools, including the renowned Kelley School of Business, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, and the Maurer School of Law, there are over 550-degree programs offered at all levels of education. 

“IUK conventionally allowed me to get the credits I still needed for my teaching license while living at home for a few months,” English teacher Emily Graham said. 

Its top three degree programs are: Bachelor of Arts in Middle Grades Education, Master of Business Administration, and Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction.

4. Ball State University

Public research university, Ball State, is headquartered in Muncie, Indiana, with many satellite campuses across the state. Across eight academic colleges, the school offers over 300 degrees at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels. 

Ball State enrolls over 21,000 students, which makes for a diverse and vibrant student body,” College Choice said. “Student life is just as diverse, with over 400 registered student organizations and clubs represented on campus, including 34 fraternities and sororities that make up the Greek life aspect of the campus. Student-run media is also available, as well as positions on the student government council and volunteer opportunities.”

Its top three degree programs are: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, Master of Architecture, and Doctor of Education in Special Education.

5. DePauw University

Private liberal arts college DePauw University has a long-standing connection to the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Society of Professional Journalists was founded there, which is why it is best known for that. Additionally, DePauw has a fantastic reputation for its faculty. 

“I didn’t just like DePauw–I loved it,” LHS English teacher April Beene said. “I really got to know my professors well. They would have us to their houses, conference one-on-one with us, and just generally take an interest in our lives. I loved getting the chance to build those relationships with professors. I actually still (ten years after graduating) get a birthday card each year from the professor who was my advisor at DePauw.” 

Its top three degree programs are Bachelor of Science in Economics, Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education, and Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.