Bugging the Competition

Gretchen Prifogle

Dressed as a clown, FFA sponsor Jennifer Fishburn drives FFA President Graci Homburg in the Homecoming parade.

On Tuesday, Nov. 29, FFA students went to their last competition for entomology. Entomology is an FFA activity in which they compete. There are different insects they need to identify. Freshman Kaylynn Fillmore was one of the many students involved.

“After you identify those things, you take a basic knowledge test on questions related to entomology,” Fillmore said. “Every competition is different in FFA, even when it is the same competition, just in a different place. Each entomology practice competition was completely different from the real deal.” 

Competitions differ depending on what match they go to and what they’re doing.

“In the FFA entomology judging competition, members increase their understanding of insects, control measures, and integrated pest management. Steps we take to control/eliminate unwanted pests,” agriculture teacher Jennifer Fishburn said. “They have two portions to the competition: insect identification and a written test. They have 150 different insects that they have to know their name and scientific order.”

FFA has a bright future ahead of them with students from Logansport Junior High School also competing. The junior high team received a second-place award.

“For our first year, I think the students did great, “Fishburn said. “They are coached by our junior high ag teacher Mrs. Blackwell. She has done an awesome job getting our members started in this competition.”

The high school team also had a good season, receiving 3rd place in the competition. 

“Also, we had a junior receive 2nd place overall as an individual and high school member receive second place overall,” Fishburn said.