Profile: 10 Questions with the Assistant Principals

Jerika Razer

Christy Diehl

Christy Diehl is one of two assistant principals. At LHS, she has two jobs to juggle. She is an assistant principal, but also a teacher. She is in charge of curriculum and instructions and also a dual credit psychology class.

What is your job as an assistant principal?

I’m doing everything with curriculum and instruction. I also teach a dual credit psychology class. I work with teachers directly. We have morning time for professional learning. So, when students have to wait in the cafeteria or the Berry Bowl, we’re doing professional learning as a staff. Everything that is curriculum-based, I do that. I also do a lot of testing stuff.

What is the biggest challenge of being an assistant principal?

I came in right before COVID happened, so everything got shut down. So, I was trying to learn my role. Another thing that’s challenging is balancing being a teacher and being an assistant principal, trying to meet the needs to teach my students and my responsibilities as an assistant principal.

What do you like most about being an assistant principal?

I love everything about that position. I really do. It is my dream position. I drive an hour each day to be here. I love how I have a foot in the classroom and also get to work with teachers. It’s the best of both worlds for me. I was a teacher turning instructional coach at my other job.

If you weren’t an assistant principal, what do you think you would be doing or wish to be doing?

I would love to be in forensic psychology to understand why bad people do what they do.

What is your favorite thing about working at LHS?

My favorite thing about working here is the community. The teachers love the kids. The kids are respectful to their teachers. Everyone is proud to be a berry. You can feel the atmosphere in the hallways.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

A lot of it goes back to my high school experiences. I was really involved in choir and musical theater and also color guard for marching band. I’m immediately thinking about when the marching band went to London. It was right after 9/11 happened. We marched in the New Year’s Day parade and how surprising it was. They were thanking us for coming all the way from the United States.

Books or movies?

Books 100%. I have to be because when you have an hour commute every day, I live off of audiobooks.

Who is your role model or whom do you look up to?

Ruth Bader Ginsburgh, she goes by RBG. She was a Supreme Court Justice, and she did a lot for women’s rights and equality.

What is a typical spring break for you?

Usually traveling with other teachers from my former job. I like to go to places I’ve never been to before. At home, I have one of those scratch-off maps of the United States.

What is are you doing this spring break or where are you going?

I’m going to West Virginia to do some artsy things. I have an appointment to go glass blowing. Just some cool art, quirky things. I’m also going to the Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C.

Jerika Razer

JD Dubes

JD Dubes is the other assistant principal. Dubes is in charge of the Dean’s Office. He works with student discipline and everything else with the Dean’s Office.

I’m in charge of the Dean’s Office, student discipline, evaluations of teachers, building security, and supervision of events.

Student apathy towards education, trying to get kids engaged pasted classes, realizing education is important.

The interactions with everybody, getting to interact with both staff and students. That by far is the best part.

Well, I actually turned down law school to go into education. So, I would probably be an attorney.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

I was lucky enough to play in the 1992 State Championship for basketball. Got beat in overtime. That’s not one of my favorites. But, we were 1992 runner-ups.

One of the best things is that everyone wants the kids to do their best. They want the kids to be successful in life. That hasn’t always been the case everywhere, but for sure here.

Books or movies?

Ohh, definitely movies. My favorite movie probably has to be “Crazy Rich Asians.” That’s a good one. I think it is hysterical.

My parents, they’re the ones that really stressed education to me. I think they were a good role model to me growing up as a kid in terms of how to live your life and how to treat people.

What is a typical spring break for you?

Normally, we go visit family in Georgia. They’re big baseball people as well, so usually, my son will be playing baseball all week down there.

We will just be visiting family for spring break, not flying to the moon or anything.