Q&A: Students Reflect on the First Concert of the Year

On Oct. 1, the annual Fall Choral Preview was held at McHale Performing Arts Center
The Fall Choral Preview had a diverse mix of music in the hour. From singing exclusively with ba or singing about their love to sing, the concert showed what to expect for the rest of the year.
The Fall Choral Preview had a diverse mix of music in the hour. From singing exclusively with “ba” or singing about their love to sing, the concert showed what to expect for the rest of the year.
Courtesy of Jennifer Wallace

The first combined choir concert of the 2023-2024 school year, the “Fall Choral Preview,” was held on Oct. 1. Many different groups came together under the direction of Emily Brooke and Angela Ticen. The Fall Choral Preview brought together the Logansport Community School Corporation choirs from the Logansport Intermediate School, Logansport Junior High School and Logansport High School.

Concert choir members sophomore Calvin Mackey, freshman Sophie Montgomery, freshman Cooper Prifogle and senior Charles Zimmerman gave their input as well as swing choir members senior Sam Fultz and junior Alex Geisler.

What makes choir important to you?

Fultz: Choir is important to me as I’ve discovered singing and music is my passion. All of my friends are in the classroom or on that stage, and I find that’s where I’m happiest.

Mackey: Choir is very important to me because I simply just love to sing. I do band as well as choir, but I’ve always liked choir just a little bit more. Choir brings so many opportunities into my life and gives me sort of a drive to be better, to prove that I can and will be better than I previously was.

Zimmerman: Choir is like my other huge family that I was taken into my 7th grade year. Especially in middle school, a real connection in a group was hard for me. I was raised with music, singing all throughout the house with my family, and my dad always had music on. Therefore, a group of people who all share a love for music seemed like a great place.

Payton Mucker

What was your favorite song and why?

Geisler: I would say “All That Jazz” from “Chicago.” I believe that song looked the most appealing as well as sounding the best.

Montgomery: My favorite song was “I Sing Because I’m Happy” adapted from Rollo Dilworth. 

Prifogle: My favorite song at the concert would have to be “For The Longest Time” by Billy Joel in a soprano, alto, tenor and bass arrangement. I loved the song due to the high energy it brings as well as how fun it was to sing. 

How was this concert different from previous years?

Geisler: This concert was an intro to the future of Logansport High School choirs, and this is almost like a test. Eventually, we will see a full circle of what our concerts in the future will look like.

Mackey: The music selection was quite different from previous years, and the energy overall was more upbeat and had a very joyous energy. Choir is becoming a safe haven where students can just have fun rather than impress or entertain an audience.

Zimmerman: This concert was the first for the new directors, Ms. Brooke and Ms. Ticen. It was a bit shorter than the previous years as well as the music being contemporary compared to the more classical feel we used to have. The inclusion of the new Logansport Intermediate School choir also added to the repertoire and inclusion among the choirs.

What do Brooke and Ticen contribute to the choir?

Fultz: I believe they bring a new level of energy to the room that most people can get behind. I appreciate passionate people teaching about something they’re passionate about, and passionate teachers passionately teaching about their passions.

Montgomery: Ms. Ticen brings in her amazing piano skills to the choir, and Ms. Brooke is an amazing conductor. Their wacky and fun personalities make choir exciting.

Zimmerman: They bring a fresh view of the world and teaching. Ms. Ticen is the main piano player for the choir, and Ms. Brooke is the official director, though Ms. Ticen is directing multiple pieces with her creative direction in mind. They are joyous and bubbly and are always smiling, always having a joke to crack or a silly exercise to better our singing ability.

What are you looking forward to in the future of choirs at LHS?

Geisler: I’m looking forward to seeing what changes are made for events such as public performances and possibly allowing us to do competitions.

Mackey: I’m excited about the introduction of the all-men’s choir, the BerryTones. It will be so much fun to be around people who truly enjoy what they do. I’m hopeful to someday make it into the swing choir, so I’m in a group of people who share the same abilities as me. I’m eager to see how the choirs will grow and the new opportunities that are coming to the corporation.

Prifogle: I am looking forward to all of the upcoming events that are coming up and watching how things are changing with the new choir directors.