FAFSA: What Seniors Need to Know

Logansport High School has several resources for students to learn about FAFSA
FAFSA: What Seniors Need to Know

More than 10 million students complete the FAFSA each year. FAFSA, short for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the form students submit for extra funding at a post-secondary education institute. Upon completion, students can request federal grants, work-study funds, and loans. Previously, students were allowed to access the FAFSA form during October, but the FAFSA form for the 2024-2025 school year opened on Dec. 31. 

LHS is having FAFSA nights once a month until the April 15 deadline. Attending a workshop is a one way to gain guidance or ask questions on completing the application. (Logansport High School)

LHS offers several opportunities for students to gain assistance with completing the application with four upcoming dates saved for seniors to speak with representatives from Indiana University Kokomo, INvested and Ivy Tech. Abby Lundy and Ivy Tech representative Jovanny Perez, both located in the Achieve Center, have experience in helping students navigate the FAFSA application process. 

“Most students I have worked with seem overwhelmed over the whole application,“ Perez said. “But, once they come in and ask for help, you can just feel their relief after getting the application completed.”

The two-month delay was a result of new changes implemented. From what used to be 108 questions to now 46, the FAFSA Simplification Act was introduced to lessen the load and stress of completing the FAFSA. The official website claims that it takes most applicants one hour to finish the form. 

“The previous application process always seemed lengthy,” Perez said. “With this new application, it seemed like a breeze.”

Fewer questions were not the only change regarding FAFSA. On April 15, 2023, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb signed SB167, which requires every Indiana high school senior to complete the FAFSA, regardless of whether their future after high school involves secondary education or not. Students who have siblings attending college at the same time will also not be receiving a sibling discount, whereas previously these students were eligible for an increase in student aid. 

The deadline for students to submit their 2024-2025 FAFSA form is Apr. 15, while each college and career/trade school also has its own deadline. The Frank O’Bannon Grant and the 21st Century Scholarship will also follow the Apr. 15 deadline. 

Anyone who completes the FAFSA and shows Lundy proof can get their name put into a monthly drawing for a $25 gift card. 

“It is key that you file your FAFSA earlier rather than later in order to catch any mistakes and correct them in a timely manner,” Perez said “The Achieve Center is the perfect place to bring your questions regarding college and FAFSA.”

View Comments (1)
$610
$500