Q&A With New Chemistry Teacher Victoria Johnson

Johnson replaced Kathy Davis at the beginning of the semester
Posing for a picture, Victoria Johnson is the new chemistry teacher at Logansport High School. Before taking over mid-year, Johnson was previously teaching at Landis Elementary.
Miaya Smith

How was the transition from where you lived before?

I lived in Minnesota before moving to Indiana. The transition was smooth since I first moved to college at Indiana Wesleyan University. I had a team to make immediate connections. Then, I student-taught at Landis to make a smooth transition before accepting the position here at LHS. I also love the warmer weather here compared to Minnesota.

Starting, what expectations did you have? 

Since this is my first semester teaching, I expected to learn and grow a lot with my students as we explored chemistry together. I knew it would come with challenges since I was jumping in during the middle of the school year, but I was super excited about the opportunity.

What makes a good day at school for you?

A good day at school usually involves a fun lab where students can observe science with a hands-on learning experience. I am so happy to watch students enjoy learning. Their enthusiasm is contagious in the classroom. Overall, I love it when students collaborate, ask questions, and have fun in class.

What accomplishments have you had this year that fill you with pride?

I am proud to have been able to find and accept a job immediately after graduating from college this past December. Within my first three months of teaching, I’m most proud of the effort my students put in each day to learn chemistry. I have so much fun with each class as they work hard, collaborate and explore.

How do you connect with the student besides schoolwork?

Initially, I allowed each student to tell me about themselves by answering questions on a document. It gave me a glimpse into their lives and also their goals for this class. I also felt that it was important for me to share about myself first to help each student feel comfortable and hopefully feel that I’m not just some stranger trying to make them learn science. Last, I try to connect by checking in with students each day and being intentional in every conversation I have with them.

What encouraged you to teach?

I have had many great teachers who have helped me love learning and enjoy being in class each day. I realized how big of an impact teachers can make on a student, and I wanted to have the opportunity to help students not only enjoy being at school but also show them that I believe in them and want them to succeed.

What is your goal with doing the rebus puzzles in your classroom?

Rebus puzzles are a fun opportunity for students to problem solve and think critically each day. It’s not mandatory by any means, but it gives students something to look forward to each day and hopefully win some candy if they can solve it.

How was it when you first let students use chemicals?

It’s super important that we all stay safe during each lab, especially when using chemicals that can be harmful. Labs have gone well so far, and students have done a great job following the expectations and rules put in place to keep them safe. Plus, it’s fun when they all wear goggles and gloves and tell me they “feel like scientists.”

What has been your biggest challenge teaching? How did you handle it?

There are so many factors that go into teaching and starting a new job, so it was challenging to learn many things in a short amount of time while trying to intentionally get to know my students. I have leaned on my amazing colleagues. They are constantly available to answer my questions and help me out so that I am prepared to teach each day and be fully present and invested with my students each period.

Who is your biggest role model?

My mom is my biggest role model. I grew up watching her be a phenomenal teacher as she positively impacted so many of her students. Now, I get to continue looking up to her and collaborate with her as I navigate my classroom.