The Strive to Dive

A look into junior Micah Rogers’s diving career
Junior Micah Rogers is a three sport athlete. He is a part of the swim and dive team, on the baseball team, and also runs in cross country.
Courtesy of Mariah Rogers

As he approaches the diving board, he holds his shoulders high. Junior Micah Rogers has been waiting for this moment. He spends many hours practicing to achieve one goal: to be the greatest he can be.

“Every chance I get, I strive to put Logansport High School on the map to be known for having a great swim and dive program,” Micah Rogers said. 

When he isn’t working on his diving skills, Micah Rogers is often found surrounded by those he loves. Most of these people happen to be on the team he is with almost every day. 

“Being a part of the swim team means the world to me,” Micah Rogers said. “The team is like my second family.” 

The team culture of the LHS swim and dive team is different. Spending hours together, whether that be at practice, on the way to meets or the meets themselves, the team has created a strong bond.

“They are a very unique group of kids,” coach Michael Shannon said.”They are very tight-knit, and they seem to genuinely enjoy each other.” 

Along with many of the sport teams here at LHS, the swim and dive team has a close bond. (Courtesy of Micah Rogers)

Micah Rogers is also on the baseball team and is a cross-country runner as well as a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Pep Club. Spending countless hours at different practices, meets, and all of the minutes in between mentally preparing, Rogers has a lot on his plate, but he doesn’t do it alone.

“Besides the physical rewards, we believe Micah’s biggest reward is the friendships he has gained not only with his LHS teammates but from other schools,” Maria Rogers, Micah Rogers’ mother, said. “They are good to one another and appreciate that it’s not easy getting up early or staying late for those practices.”

When he isn’t involved with school activities, Micah Rogers keeps himself busy with a job.

“I am an employee at Charbetts, which takes up a lot of my free time,” Micah Rogers said. “ When I’m not at practice or at work, I am most likely outside or on a run.”

Micah Rogers has been a part of the swimming and diving team here at LHS for the past three years. In the last two years, Micah Rogers made it to regionals for diving. Even when he isn’t on the diving board practicing, he is still mentally training. Micah Rogers explains it has taken a lot of work to get this far.

“When I first started diving, I didn’t even see myself being able to make it this far,” Micah Rogers said. “I’ve set a goal to make it to state, and I am hoping to next season.”

Since his sophomore year, Micah Rogers has gained many valuable skills including leadership opportunities and team-building. Micah Rogers has shown visible growth.

“Micah’s confidence in his craft has increased every year as he’s worked at being a diver,” Maria Rogers said. “We have seen him research his competitors to see what he’s up against, but what we love is he’s not jealous of their talent. He appreciates their hard work and performance and has become friends with a lot of them. He also doesn’t change his ‘game’ based on what they’re doing. He plays his own game.”

Rogers looks forward to studying sports medicine or physical therapy and hopes to attend Indiana State University. He has a long road ahead of him, but he hasn’t been on this path alone. 

“My favorite part of diving is just being surrounded by my friends the whole way,” Micah Rogers said. ”I think what has inspired me to keep going is the people, my team.”