A Win Is a Win

The Logansport Lookouts share a title with their adversary, the Crown Point Dogs, in the Babe Ruth 15U State Championship
The Logansport Lookouts celebrate after winning the Firecracker Classic in Noblesville.
Courtesy of Adam Rogers

From the Stanley Cup to an Oscar to the Mustard Belt, nearly all victories come with a sentimental trophy. The only general theme, however, is that only one person or team receives a trophy to carry in contentment. One team comes away with the victory. Nevertheless, the Indiana Babe Ruth 15U State Championship ended in a different conclusion.

The Logansport Lookouts were coached by Christopher Shank, Dave Smith, Jason Pearson, and Jason Sweet. Logansport hosted the four other teams, Duneland, South Bend East Side, Mishawaka, and Crown Point in the Indiana State Tournament. The Lookouts’ first result was a 12-4 victory against Duneland, who went on to forfeit their consolation game against South Bend East Side. Logansport next took on Crown Point and defeated one of the most talented teams in Indiana almost effortlessly with a score of  (9-2).

Since the tournament was double elimination, the Crown Point Dogs needed to be defeated a second time in order for Logansport to win. The next day, Logansport walked into their rematch with confidence but was quickly met with more of a challenge. The Dogs took an early lead, and by the 7th inning, Logansport was behind (3-5). Thankfully, Crown Point’s pitcher, AJ Lira, walked three consecutive batters. Bases loaded, freshman Hudson Shank singled with a pop fly to score one. Unfortunately, it was not enough, and Logansport fell to Crown Point (4-5).

Juniors Micah Rogers and Aiden Swank pitched through the state tournament. They proudly hold their plaque in front of their pitcher’s mound after the victory. (Courtesy of Adam Rogers)

“In the second game against Crown Point, we were not prepared for them to get an early lead,” sophomore Lucas Jones said. “If you are allowing the opposing team to get back in the game, you can’t expect to win. We didn’t keep our foot on the gas or play to the end of the game. I’m not as satisfied with the results knowing we could have performed better. Although, we are so-state Champions, following through during the second game would have made our title more complete.”

Since the Lookouts and the Dogs had lost one game each, neither of them was eliminated from the tournament. Normally, this would result in a final game where the winner takes it all. However, the situation is not as straightforward. Crown Point had already played two games in one day and, although possible, a third would not be optimal, along with the lack of umpires available on such short notice. A fourth four-hour round trip was not ideal for the Dogs either. The State Chairman was in attendance and decided it would be best if both teams were determined as co-winners.

We had an all-around great team, and I partially feel robbed considering we could have pulled off the win for the state title,” sophomore Grady Alexander said. “However, I’m happy that both teams got to experience being state champs.”

The Logansport Lookouts take home the Babe Ruth State Title with the Crownpoint Dogs. (Courtesy of Logansport Babe Ruth Baseball)

A co-win conclusion had the opportunity to result in controversy. In spite of that, however, Logan considers their victory a full one. Although Logansport didn’t walk away undefeated, they did manage to win the state championship. 

“I consider our simultaneous win a victory,” junior Max Kitchell said. “I don’t believe it is partial whatsoever. Even though we are all upset we couldn’t prevail in the second game, the compromise the State Chairman came to was unbiased taking into account our home-field advantage. The title of 15U Babe Ruth State Champions’ has more than enough room for two teams.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to LHS Magpie
$610
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Logansport High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.