Q&A: Berries Baseball Spring Workouts

A breakdown of what happens during pre-season workouts with senior Dylan Pearson
Sophomore Hutson McKinney looks for the ball as the runner advances to second.
Reyna Hernandez

The spring season is just around the corner and with that, baseball is about to be under way. Last season, the team advanced past the first round of sectionals and was close to another NCC championship. They look to make it further into the sectionals and hopefully win another NCC championship. 

The following is a short Q&A with senior pitcher/outfielder Dylan Pearson about the benefits of showing up to the pre-season workouts.

Why is it important to show up to baseball workouts?

It is important to show up to the workouts to figure out what you need to work on early and try and fix it before the season starts.

What is the benefit of showing up to the workouts?

The benefit of showing up to the workouts is creating muscle memory early and getting a feel for everything.

Does the workout make the team bond stronger?

I believe that the workouts can make the bond stronger. It is a time for everybody to talk and help each other out and learn new things from your peers.

Is it time to get one-on-one coaching?

The workouts are the best time for one-on-one coaching because there are fewer people, so it makes it easier for the coach to help you as a player instead of focusing on the team itself.

How many people are showing up?

I would say there are about 15-20 people going to the workouts.

What is the goal for the season?

The goal for the season is to start out hot and get outplacement in our conference. After that, we are going to be preparing to do well in sectionals and enjoy the season as a team.

The players showing up have been told to prepare to either be outside or inside depending on the weather. This is an important time of the year for baseball as it allows coaches to view the player’s skills and what they are weak at. It allows players to work towards goals with the help of the teammates who come to the workouts as well.

The workouts are on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.. If there are any changes to times or dates they will be posted on X on the Berries Baseball account (@BerriesBaseball on X).