Springing Into Action With Spring Sports

Spring sport seasons begin
Preparing to throw the ball down to the plate, senior Cooper Smith attempts to strike out his opponent.
Reyna Hernandez

As the weather gets warmer and the sun heats the courts and fields, spring sports begin. Track is back down by the field, setting new personal records and making new friends; tennis is back outside, finding new double sets and building bonds; and golf has its callouts ready to go down to the course. Softball is out on the turf adjusting to a new team and running drills, and baseball has been running drills and scrimmaging to be the best team they can be.

The baseball team held tryouts on Mar. 11 and 12 to look at everyone’s talents before making a final decision on the teams. The baseball team is working on practicing and learning to work together as a team on the turf. The team’s first game took place at LaPorte on Mar. 30.

“Preseason workouts have been going very well so far,” senior Cooper Smith said. “We have a lot of people coming out for the teams and it is great to see the numbers at each workout. My goals for this season are to reach at least the 15-win mark and to win a Sectional Championship.”

With many new members, the softball team is adjusting to working with their new teammates and even some new coaches. By preparing for the season, they are setting new goals and making new friends.

“I have been injured since the first official practice started,” senior Jocelynn Vincent said.”I have enjoyed being able to be there and getting to know my teammates. I hope that this season we can win sectionals. My goals for myself are that I hope to have a batting average above .350 and to have fun last high school season. The transition from Pioneer to Logan has been great. I’ve enjoyed meeting so many new, amazing people and the bonds with them and the coaches.”

The tennis team started their season with a win. After putting in hours of work between conditioning and practice, they are ready for the season and preparing to have a successful season as a team learning to work together and learning new skills.

“At workouts, we do a lot of running and agility drills,” senior Lydia Goad said. “We’ve been conditioning, so we haven’t gotten rackets in our hands for most of it until today. They have been pretty good overall and it is important to us that we are physically and mentally ready for the season. During middle school, one of my basketball coaches told me to give tennis a shot because it helps you with footwork and overall athleticism. So in eighth grade, I went to tryouts and I really enjoyed it. My favorite part of tennis is the bus rides and the team bonding. A lot of girls went out for tennis this last year and it’s been really fun getting to know the team. We really want to work hard and have a lot of fun at the same time.”

The weather has affected the golf team and their ability to get out on the course but with rain or sun they still find a way to practice and get their reps in. The team placed 8th in their first meet with freshman Graham Taylor making individual top 10. The team hopes to continue working and make it to regionals as a team.

“Workouts have been good,” sophomore Logan Lange said. “We haven’t been able to get out much but when we can it has been good. My favorite part of golf is talking with the people I’m playing with. When I play I like to talk and just get to know the person and have a fun time. The first meeting went decent. I shot a 91 which isn’t bad. I would like to get that to the mid to low 80’s but to start I’ll take it.”

The track team has new coaches and is learning new skills and a way of conditioning. The team is working on creating bonds and setting new goals. They got their first win on Apr. 9 against Peru. They are continuing to practice and setting new personal records.

“This year we have started to do things a lot different than my previous years in track, but I think our new workouts and conditioning are getting us prepared to be the best athletes we can be,” senior Lanee Huff said. “We have started working a lot more on running form and consistency, and by doing this I think we have a great season ahead of us. My goals for this season are to beat my PR of 5’3 in high jump, and possibly beat the school record for girls of 5’6. I also want to make it to state for high jump, which I was very close to doing last season. The first meet went well. A lot of our relay teams did amazing and we have already improved since last year which is a great start to the season.”