Q&A: Math Teacher Kevin Reed Discusses Teaching

Reed talks about the importance of connecting with students
Being one of the many teachers at Logansport High School, math teacher Kevin Reed demonstrates an Algebra 1 equation.
Miaya Smith

What is one thing you do differently than other math teachers that helps teenagers understand more?

One thing that I do is form connections with them, not necessarily with just math, but in their personal lives. When you get students to go with you in that aspect, they are more willing to work with you in math.

What made you realize you wanted to teach math?

I started in college as a business major, and I failed my introduction in business class because I didn’t study. I later realized I enjoyed being in high school because my high school years were filled with many different activities. It was a lot easier when I was in school. I did not have to work as hard as kids do now.

What is the most challenging part of teaching?

It has changed over the years. Now, it is so busy, and the thing that has made it busier is the computer. Years ago, we just had a grade book, and we would just put the grade in and then were ready to go. Now we have to have it all entered into Schoology and modify it. It takes more time to post everything on Schoology instead of reading textbooks and writing on paper. After dealing with the struggles of Schoology, you have to transfer it all over to PowerSchool, which takes more time. Responding to emails is difficult as well as whether it’s from students or parents.

What is the rewarding part?

The rewarding part about teaching is seeing that you have an impact on students. You can get them to go your way and work harder. Earning each other’s respect plays a big role in the students learning.

What is some advice you would give to students?

Starting in high school, students need to be encouraged to think about what things they are good at. Also, have them think about what interests them. I like my job, but sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had gone in a different direction.