Q&A: Conversing With the Queen

On the Sept. 29, senior Emily Sanchez was crowned Homecoming Queen
Emily Sanchez and her father were both over the moon about Emilys crowning.
Emily Sanchez and her father were both over the moon about Emily’s crowning.
Courtesy of Emily Sanchez

Senior Emily Sanchez is very involved with the school, whether that be with sports, clubs or classes. She has been an LHS cheerleader since her freshman year. She is the vice president of the Spanish Club and is also on the Speech Team. She also is involved in the National Honor Society, Student Council and Chinese Club. After graduating high school, Sanchez plans to attend IU for nursing to study in pediatrics. On top of all of that, she is now officially Logansport High School’s 2024 Homecoming Queen. 

How does it feel to be Homecoming Queen? 

When I won, it didn’t feel real at all. My heart jumped, and all I could do was smile. Since that night, people have stopped me to ask if I’m the girl who won Logansport’s Homecoming. It usually happens at work or during my internship at the hospital. I remember opening my phone that night and my Facebook blowing up with the picture that Matt Jones shared. I could not believe it. It almost felt like a dream.

How did you campaign? 

During Homecoming week, it was so crazy with the campaigning. On my first day, I made goodie bags with Mexican candy and passed them out in front of the main office. On my second day, my running mate, Yasiel Zarate, and I passed out donuts, candy and cookies. Throughout the day, we would continue to pass items out. It was a very fun experience.

What club did you represent? How are you involved with it? 

I represented the Spanish Club, and I was so excited. There was definitely some tough competition for the spot, and I was shocked when I was voted to represent the club. I am the club’s vice president, and I’ve been a part of the club for three years now. So, I was super excited to be representing not just the court but different cultures. I have made many memories in this club, and I hope to make many more throughout the year.

Did you think you were going to win? Who do you think was your biggest competitor?

In all honesty, I didn’t even think I was going to make the top five let alone win. Whenever I run for things, I usually don’t win, so I was keeping my hopes down. I was just really excited to be on the court and have fun with my friends.  I thought that Esther Bien and Lauren Saldivar were my biggest competitors. I love them both, and I am just so happy we made the top five together.

If you could do it all over again, what would you change? 

If I could go back in time, I wouldn’t change a thing. I think the only thing I would really change would have been the weather for the parade. I had so much fun participating in Homecoming this year. The overall night went by so quickly. But, just seeing everyone all dressed up and smiling made me so happy, and it is a night I will never forget.

What was your favorite memory from this experience?

While running, there were so many memories that were amazing, but if I had to choose one, it would be the way Yasiel and I campaigned together. It was just fun seeing how many boxes of donuts we would buy each day and give out. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to run with him and make memories during our senior year.

What were your family’s reactions to you winning?

The way my parents ran up to me after I won holds a special place in my heart. My parents couldn’t stop smiling, and they picked me up chanting my name. My mom was probably more excited than I was. She is my biggest support system. She believed in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. The evening was honestly a blur after my name was called, but I have so many pictures to look back on.

Senior Omar Ruiz, the 2024 Homecoming King, refrained from an interview for this article.