P-TECH Students Learn in a New Program

Students reflect on their first semester in the P-TECH program
The full P-TECH class of students pose for a picture in their matching polos. Students wear these polos when representing P-TECH in professional settings.
Courtesy of P-TECH

The cheers for the classroom filled the hallways at Logansport Junior High School in the spring of 2023. Dr. Christy Diehl and Amy Warner have just informed select LJHS students about their acceptance into the first year of the P-TECH program In all, 23 students were accepted into the program.

“I think P-TECH is a great educational program that benefits things for others,” freshman Morgan Vail said.

P-TECH stands for Pathways in Technology Early College High School. Rashid Ferrod Davis was the founding principal. Davis opened P- TECH after fifteen years of experience in New York City public schools as a teacher, assistant principal, and, most recently, the principal of Bronx Engineering and Technology Academy (BETA).

“P-TECH has been a fantastic addition to Logansport High School,” Matt Jones, principal of Logansport High School said, “It provides our students with valuable opportunities for career readiness and hands-on learning, preparing them for success in the workforce and college.”

The class makes use of project-based learning. Students complete more projects and presentations than in a regular classroom, which can cause stress. These projects may involve working with businesses in the community or presenting to prominent community members like Deputy Mayor Jacob Pomasl.

“The most important part for me was communication,” freshman Rosyln Morgan said. “I have always been an introverted person, so speaking in a group, let alone in front of people, is pretty nerve-wracking”

But, with English, math, social studies, and history grouped together in one classroom, they also have fewer classes and teachers to flip between. Between teachers Chris Pearcy, Haleigh Toumine, Angela Harmon, and Nicole Ingalls, students have between two to four teachers in the room at once. Students can get extra help and support. Plus, many projects feature trips to local businesses or community service opportunities.

P-TECH students share most of their classes together and work closely in groups, so bonds of friendship started to form within the walls of P-TECH.

“I got a lot closer to my friends,” Dakota Duckett said. “I even started to talk to people that I didn’t really talk to before P-TECH. You can challenge yourself, and you can challenge your friends.”

Teachers and students push each other to do their best because they can see their worth even if the students can’t.

“I consider P-tech as part of my family,” both Duckett and Vail said.

P-TECH does not only help students get a high school diploma. It also helps students receive an associate degree by high school graduate. Duckett encourages 8th graders to try out the program.

“I would say try it, and if you don’t like it, then oh well, at least you gave it a try,” Duckett said.