Q&A: Todd Saylor Talks About His Culinary Experiences

Mr. Saylor discusses his journey with food
Mr. Saylor is the Culinary Arts teacher
Mr. Saylor is the Culinary Arts teacher
Leylin Diaz

What made you interested in cooking?

I have always enjoyed playing in the kitchen and trying new things. I think it started with my grandmothers, both of them were wizards in the kitchen and always had wonderful smells coming from within their kitchens. That passion carried through their food. 

How did you know you wanted to be a Culinary teacher?

I actually never thought of this. I began my college career wanting to be a dentist, but Organic Chemistry was not in my future. I then transferred to the College of Education and was going to be a history teacher, but that passion was not there for that career choice. I went to Indy and paid a ton to take a test to figure out what I wanted to do with my passions. After the test came back that hospitality was the career path that I was to pursue, I began my hospitality background. Education still was not in the plan. I then began working for another school corporation, and somehow, several years later, after teaching elementary for a few years, ended up in their career center and began teaching Culinary Arts and started a Hospitality Management course.

What’s your favorite part of being in the kitchen?

I really enjoy watching kids become inspired to try new things. I love those sparks of interest and the desire to want to learn. The more engaged students are, the more fun it is for all of us, including every teacher in this building.

What’s something you knew before you started cooking?

Cooking has to be fun. If you do not have passion for your dish, your guests will taste it. Even when learning, you can taste the passion. 

Why did you choose to be a culinary teacher?

It is fun working with the students and being in a school environment. Passion begins at an early age and it’s great to be a part of it.