Behind the Scenes of the Berry Bean

Located in the Student Union, students can visit the Berry Bean during their free time
Junior Marbella Nieves-Hernandez serves a freshly maid beverage.
Melanie Contreras

The Berry Bean is one of LHS’ most frequently visited areas by students. Located right in between the two entrances to the library, students can energize for the day with a cup of coffee. From frappes to smoothies, there are many different options for students to choose from. While many students go in and out of the Berry Bean, there is a lot that goes on behind the coffee counter. 

Junior Marbella Nieves-Hernandez works hard on creating drinks for students to enjoy. Students have the opportunity to work in the Berry Bean during any of their free periods. The Berry Bean barista position is a way to gain work experience before leaving high school. (Melanie Contreras)

In 2020, the Berry Bean was officially opened for students to enjoy but was shut down soon after due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it was no longer a threat, the Berry Bean reopened back up in Apr. 2023. Students could finally go back to enjoying the LHS establishment. 

“The Berry Bean is a coffee shop, a cafe that the Student Union put together a few years back,” Berry Bean worker Marbella Nieves-Hernandez said. “Now, it was brought back up to be a place for students to hang out during all periods until before lunchtime.”

On regular school days, the Berry Bean is open from 7:45 a.m.-10:15 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.-12:35 p.m.. Since it operates during school hours, it creates the opportunity for students to pick up a job as a barista and gain work experience in a community and environment they are familiar with. 

“The fact that the school offers jobs where you get paid and have a payroll is very interesting,” Nieves-Hernandez said. “I think it’s unique.” 

To start their shift, Berry Bean workers get into their proper uniform. Hernandez stated that she drops off her stuff, puts on her apron, gloves, and hat and ties up her hair. She then washes her hands to follow all the health codes regarding food distribution in the school. 

“There is a little sheet above the sink,”  Nieves-Hernandez said. “It says everything we have to be wearing before we can work.”

Senior Roselyn Rodriguez Espinoza poses after taking a long sip from her favorite drink, the caramel cold brew. Rodriguez can be found supporting the Berry Bean during her second-period office hours. “I love it when my good friend Marbella makes my drinks. She never gets it wrong.” (Melanie Contreras)

During the warmer months, at the beginning of the school year, frappes were a hit. Now, with the weather being colder, lattes and hot chocolates have become the most ordered beverage that the Berry Bean offers.

“The easiest drink to make by far is probably the cold brew,” Nieves-Hernandez said. “It takes one scoop of ice, two pumps of cold brew, and two to three pumps of whatever flavor is chosen. It is the easiest. You can’t mess it up.”

To end a shift, Nieves-Hernandez marks off her hours on the timesheet so she can get paid for the time she worked. She then says goodbye to everyone and grabs her bag to head to class. Nieves-Hernandez says she has seen other customers, as well as herself, make friends during her time working at the Berry Bean, many of whom become regulars. She had never previously spoken to her coworker, senior Phoenix Cripe, before this year, but once they shared their first words back in August, the two became very good friends. 

“I love the environment,” Nieves-Hernandez said. “For myself and for everyone who enters through the doors.”