Leaving Their Mark at LHS

Seniors participate in the tradition of the senior handprint wall
Seniors surround the design with their hand prints, marking their last moments at LHS.
Jasmine Zimmerman

For over a decade, Logansport High School has continued the tradition of the Senior Handprint Wall. An image representing the class is painted on the wall by a senior. Then all seniors are invited to paint their hands, place their handprints on the wall, and sign their names. Not only is it a tradition, but it is a trademark. 

“I remember being so excited to eventually make it to my senior year to put my handprint on the wall,” senior Yasiel Zarate said. “I once compared my hand to one of my older cousin’s handprint. Now, I can imagine the generations under me doing the same.”

Senior Kylee Langley signs her name next to her handprint, which was placed next to her friends. (Jessica Kranz)

This year, the Felix portrait for the Class of 2024 was painted by senior Stephanie Reida. Reida is an LHS artist who has thrived in multiple art classes throughout her high school experience. Although nervous to paint on such a large scale, Reida finished the painting within a week and a half. 

“The mural was inspired by all of the new and crazy things you do and experience while in your four years of high school,” Reida said. “I was nervous for the outcome. I won’t lie, but I love how it came out in the end.” 

On Thursday, May 9, English teachers Jessica Kranz and Beth Myers gathered on the sky bridge, prepared to guide the seniors through this tradition. 

“It is so important to leave your mark on the school,” Kranz said to the line of seniors that stretched down the sky bridge. “Get your phone out so we can take a picture of you with your handprints.”

These teachers make it a big deal because it is a big deal. Seniors graduate on June 2 at 2 p.m. in the Berry Bowl. As their last moments have been made, they can be sure to know they have made their mark on the Logansport High School. 

“It’s over,” senior Edwin Moran said after signing his name next to his handprint. “Now, let’s graduate.”