How Students Get Their News

Now, it is easier than ever for one to receive news. Word-of-mouth, newspapers, and even news channels are now considered archaic ways of discovering local and global news.

“There are a bunch of ways to receive news today, through social media, through news providers, by talking with your friends. The ways to learn of news is unlimited,” sophomore Kaden Hernandez said.

With all the possible new sources at one’s fingertips, LHS students vary in ways they choose to receive their news.

“I usually get my news through word-of-mouth from kids in my class, sometimes through Snapchat or Facebook and some things pop up, and I just see it,” senior Andrew Cheng said.

Some focus on one main social media source.

“I get my news from Instagram most of the time. For example, that’s how I heard of Kobe Bryant’s death through Bleacher Report on Instagram not long after it happened. I can control what kind of news I get from Instagram,” freshman Tony Preston said.

Factors such as aesthetics, reliability, and timeliness can all go into consideration on why a student goes to that one app or that one news provider to catch up with what’s going on.

“I use Apple News because it just sends me notifications so it’s convenient for me and also a reliable source,” senior Makaya Robinson said. “I also learn a lot about what’s going on from Government class because a lot of times we have discussions in there about stuff like Trump’s impeachment and him being acquitted.”

Some students stray away from popular channels and sites such as CNN, Fox News, and the New York Times because of the large belief among many that these sources are biased.

“I think CNN, Fox, and all that stuff is biased because they try to appeal to their audience by giving them ‘hot headlines’ or their opinions instead of facts,” Hernandez said.

Some are cautious about “fake news” situations.

“I don’t always use Instagram and Twitter because they can feed me false information, like fake news things, but also stuff like CNN can be biased. When I want to know if something is true, I fact check-it on Google,” junior Michael McMann said.

Despite the almost unlimited amount of ways to be informed on the current events and happenings in local, national, and international news, a large portion of youth today, like at LHS, don’t care to stay up to date.

“News isn’t always important because a lot of the time it doesn’t affect me, so I just don’t always pay attention to it,” junior Josh Harding said.

Some even are able to give it a percentage of sorts.

“I’d say on a scale of 1-10, a 4 is how much I catch up with the news. I don’t really care much about what some news platforms have to say because it doesn’t have anything to do with me or my life,” Preston said.

However, there are many students that view the news as important and necessary knowledge for everyday life.

“I think staying up to date with the news is important, that way you know what’s going on around you, and you’re not clueless when someone asks you,” freshman Halle VanCurren said.

Many students are only informed of news if it’s local and pertains to them personally.

“I catch up with local news a lot more than international because it has to do with me and what’s going on with the people I know and the town I live in. I just like local news more in general because you can relate to it,” Harding said.

Regardless of if students care to stay up to date with the news or not, one constant is that there are many forms of news outlets and various ways to become informed on current day issues and noteworthy stories.