New Haitian Students Coming to Logansport High School

Logansport High School has many cultures among its student body with a population that is 47.6% white, 43.2% Hispanic, 3.3% Black/African-American, 3.1% Asian, 2.7% multiracial, and 0.1% Native American. One of the growing groups among our student body is the Haitian members.

Haiti is a Caribbean country that shares an island with the Dominican Republic. It is also one of the poorest countries in Latin America and the Caribbean region with a  population of 11,562,675 people. Haitian culture can be very diverse due to different descendants like African, French, and West Indian elements. Most Haitian people speak Haitian Creole, but at the same time, they speak French because French lines up with the Haitian Creole language.

There is a new addition of many Haitian people joining our student body.

Junior Esther Bien-Aime says that she is not really bothered by the new addition of Haitians coming to the school.

“I don’t really have a problem with the new Haitian children coming into Logansport High,” Bien-Aime said. “I do wish they had better language aid because the language barrier for them is quite difficult since they are so new to everything. Other than that, I enjoy having a part of our culture at the school.”

Sophomore Brianna Chery enjoys the new Haitian children coming into the school.

“I love that there are new people coming to the High school,” Chery said. “I feel like it allows our culture to be more embraced and looked on by others.”

Freshman Steffen Jn Baptiste loves the new experience of Haitian children in the school.

“It feels great to have new Haitian children come to our school because it can help them in many ways,” Jn Baptiste. “They can learn English better since they don’t really have the chance to learn English in Haiti.”